Motorcycle debacle

-

Rmoore

Reaction score
My 2006 Honda VTX1800N is something I ride pretty much everyday! Jumped on the bike this AM. She fires right up. I put it in gear took off and it died ! Don’t know if I gave it to much clutch or it just died !! Anyway it’s dead in the water on a restart ! All my lights work . Horn, blinkers, speakers all work! Hit the start button nothing !! So I go get the multimeter and check volts on my battery . 12.2 volts ! I’m thinking volts are good ! So I go get my battery load tester ! Load the battery meter goes to zero !! Will that not good ! So run to Napa for a battery. Install new battery good to go !! Still no start ! Nothing, not even a hint of a start ! Checked all fuses . All fuses good !! So I go to the start button ! Check the start button wire on the starter relay... nothing!! So took the starter button apart cleaned the contacts and put some tension on the contact spring ! Put all back together. Check my starter button wire at starter relay 12.2 volts !! Awesome right! Hook wire back up to starter relay. Hit the starter button nothing ! Not even a click on the relay !! So dang ! Get me a jumper wire and jump the relay !! She fires up !! So pulled starter relay off a replaced it !! Hit starter button and we have contact !! Finally !! Pretty unusual to have a battery go bad , starter button go out, and a starter relay go bad all at the same time !!

I guess you had your 3 in a row streak of bad luck all in one day. LMAO

With all that bad luck good thing it stalled and you didnt go for a ride! Glad you got it fixed

Glad you got it figured out, I was going to suggest the kill switch on the kickstand.
I had one give me fits one time before I disconnected it.

Sorta and sorta maybe not. When battery voltage goes down, amps goes up. You can fry stuff in that condition.

Sorta and sorta maybe not. When battery voltage goes down, amps goes up. You can fry stuff in that condition.

Yes Sir ! That’s why I checked all my fuses ! You would think with all that I would have popped a fuse !! Not a one tho !! I do still a bad ground that I need to fix ! It’s like 7.56 ohms ! I don’t have a manual for this bike ! So I don’t know where the other end is ! Ordered me a manual today ! When I get the manual I look where the thing grounds out and fix it before it becomes a problem ! But right now ! I’m good to go

On one of my bike if battery voltage got too low it would weld the relaay contacts together. Jumping or replacing the battery caused the starter to engage immediately! That gets your attention pretty quick!
Usually a good hit to the relay would release the contacts!

-
Back