Motorhome/Winnebago BB

-

OleNatesOlds

Reaction score
Anyone know if 440s (or other blocks for that matter) out of motorhomes were beefed up in the casting compared to passenger blocks? What about buses or marine blocks? Thanks

Sometimes you'll find that the motor home blocks have an extended crank flange for a different style trans, but for the most part they are all the same motors as passenger cars had. You'll find a lot of 413's in the early industrial vehicles too, and if I'm not mistaken, marine heads have different water passaging than production car motors. Some marine engines also spin backwards, especially in a dual engine situation. I was offered a 69 Hemi motor from a dual engine racing boat, but it spun backwards. Before I could research the difference and determine if it could be changed, it was sold (for $1200.00, should've bought it right on the spot!!!). If you're looking at a motor from a motor home, just take note of the year of the block, the distance of the crank flange from the block, and the casting # of the heads. Also, if it is from the 69 to 71 era, you may get lucky and find that it has the heavier duty 6-Pack rods. Good luck with your search, Geof

Anyone know if 440s (or other blocks for that matter) out of motorhomes were beefed up in the casting compared to passenger blocks? What about buses or marine blocks? Thanks
Up to year 1973 they had forged cranks and 1970-1973 they had the heavy duty six pack rods...after that they have cast cranks but some of them had casting changes to increase the strenght of the blocks...go to 440 Sources web site and look for the section that tells you all you every wanted to know about blocks 8)

look see...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=96239

i got a 73 motorhome 440 i need to open up and see whats in it, came out of a 1 1/2 ton chassi
I got this 73 long block in my storage...I got it complete with carb and tranny for 200 bones....

IMG00377-20100625-2134.jpg

heres my Motorhome 440 that I got with a 727 tranny
Now a 505 for the Cuda :)
I sold the forged crank and 6 pack rods to a guy wanting to build a 6 pack motor
The tranny should have some HD internals in it , guess Ill find out when I get around to going thru it .
Im still working with the body now.

Cuda 440 resized.jpg

resized0002.jpg

resized0023.jpg

I found an old 440 out of a 71 winnebago. Apparently it was a cold weather block and had a lot of extra ribbing on the block. Look at the 630 casting mid 70s block,some,not all have extra main bearing support. Earlier blocks tend to have better hardness.Around mid 68 they started reinforcing the blocks around the freeze plug area.Other than this I havent seen any differences between blocks.

A lot of those motorhome engines were the industrial engines. Same bottom end, but from the heads up was slap different. The water housing bolted to the heads. The heads, intake and exhaust mannyfolds were all drastically different than their passenger car counterparts. As some have said, some of the blocks are even different.

-
Back