Mounted the factory fuel pump

-
Just as a note:
Be careful when mixing factory parts from the later model Magnums. I have a 2001 5.2 and parts from a 92 5.2. The 92 had a fuel rail with built in regulator that I was thinking of using on the 2001 instead of the inline regulator. I then found out that the earlier injectors run at a lower fuel pressure. If I used the 92 fuel rail, then I would have to use the 92 injectors. Then, I didn't know if the PCM would work right with those injectors.

One year later:
IMG_0056.JPG

I think the gasket on the module was not meant to be this far below the fuel level or my plastic flange did not well.

Decided to go to the Tanks, inc setup. So far I am happy with it.
IMG_0132.JPG

Hmmm....hate to hear it didn't work.

I've sunk a gen5 Camaro pump into a stock tank, but still working on ancillary systems before I can even start the install so no idea if I will be in the same boat.

What's the red stuff on top of the pump?

If you wash them out with dishsoap and hot water, then ventilate it's just fine to weld a used tank.
You can also fill them with the same gas a mig welder uses and they are safe then too.
use to get carbon tetrachloride and it would completely neutralize the gas fumes. But now thanks to the epa, u can`t buy it anymore, but there is a more friendly replacement, I think.

Hmmm....hate to hear it didn't work.

I've sunk a gen5 Camaro pump into a stock tank, but still working on ancillary systems before I can even start the install so no idea if I will be in the same boat.

What's the red stuff on top of the pump?
Dion:
The Camaro pump looks easier to adapt and is lower profile. It should work better than what I did.
The red stuff is melted plastic from the electrical connector. The gas was dissolving it!

use to get carbon tetrachloride and it would completely neutralize the gas fumes. But now thanks to the epa, u can`t buy it anymore, but there is a more friendly replacement, I think.

Filling the tank with C02 removes the oxygen so the fuel can't ignite and you can get it at any most any welding supply.

Dion:
The Camaro pump looks easier to adapt and is lower profile. It should work better than what I did.

In reality, it's almost too short. I ended up taking the clips of the alignment rods and stacking shims on the tops of the springs to get it to sit on the bottom of the tank. Then the wires were too short, so I had to get parts to extend them. And I haven't filled it with gas yet so....

We did test it with air and soapy water so I'm confident the welds shouldn't leak, but who knows about the rest of it.

The red stuff is melted plastic from the electrical connector. The gas was dissolving it!

Yikes!

Just tee into your co2/argon line and backpurge the tank while you weld. Dont be using water with arc welders fellas.:)

-
Back