Mounting CD player in dash?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to put my new CD deck into the dash of my 71 scamp....My question is, how should i go about doing it? I know i will need to cut the dash for the deck to fit, but my question is how much will i have to cut? How exactly is the CD player mounted in dash? do I have to buy one of those mouting plate kits from future shop or something and cut the dash hole to fit that? also, when cutting the dash is it better to cut it with it still in the car or out of the car? (just thinking of flexing while cutting)....if anybody has done any of this before i would love your insight, and maybe even some pics too8)

One option you may consider is mounting the CD in the Glove box. This way you can preserve the classic look of the Dash (if this is something you'd like). If you go for the dash mount, you will have to buy a mount. Many of the Radio/CD units require these universal mountings. This will also require cutting the opening from the original radio mounting. I would also run new speaker wires, and power leads while your at it.

One last option you many consider, depending on it you have a console, is building an under dash console. Just thinking out loud.

if you wanna mount it in the dash you shouldnt have to buy any kits. when i was goin to install a cd player in my 69 dodge truck i used the metal bracket that comes with the stereo (the piece the radio slips in, which usually slips into the plastic mounting plate) just cut the hole so that will fit up to the lip, and bend some of the metal tabs on the sides over so it cant move,then slip the radio in. it would probably be easier to run the wires while the deck is out so you can work through the hole and under the dash (depending on how big/small your hands are lol)

if needed i can get some pics tomorow on how im sayin.

or like tacfire said, you can build a consule, and mount it the same way i explained above, if you wanna preserve the original dash (i did this in my sport since the original dash is MINT, and the radio still worked, even though i dont listen to it lol)

The way I did mine was I used the mounting cage ( the bracket the stereo goes into.) as a templet to mark out the hole I would need to cut. I just cut insde the lines so not to make it too big. And then as said before place the cage in the dash and bend the tabs so it doesn't come out.

If i go with the method of bending the tabs on the side, will the face of the deck sit flush with the dash, or will you see part of the cage at the side? If you guys have a pic of how you did it i would appreciate it

thanks

Ok, just went out and took a couple of pics of mine hope it helps.... the cage should set flush, but the stereo should stick out a bit.

the back of the face will sit flush with the dash. most if not all stereos come with the lil plastic trim piece that goes around the face of the deck and will cover the lil lip of the steel cage

Hey guys i got it all done now....thanks for the help....did you guys make a bracket to support the back of the deck up? I used the factory radio support and bent it to fit my new deck and mounted it as a support and it works good....just wondering if you guys had to do something similar

if you wanna mount it in the dash you shouldnt have to buy any kits. when i was goin to install a cd player in my 69 dodge truck i used the metal bracket that comes with the stereo (the piece the radio slips in, which usually slips into the plastic mounting plate) just cut the hole so that will fit up to the lip, and bend some of the metal tabs on the sides over so it cant move,then slip the radio in.
That's how I did it in my 72 Dart and it looks nice. Never thought of putting it in the glove box though... damn I wish I would have though of that before I sliced up my dash.

Hey guys i got it all done now....thanks for the help....did you guys make a bracket to support the back of the deck up? I used the factory radio support and bent it to fit my new deck and mounted it as a support and it works good....just wondering if you guys had to do something similar

i never finished my truck (gave up cuz of rust issues) but i didnt make a support for the back of the deck in my dart. ive been drivin it pretty regularly latly to go pic stuff up (fold down backseat works nice for haulin stuff) and to save gas in my 5th for car shows, but then again the deck is mounted in 3/4" mdf board

Forget the CD player, I put one of the new Alpines in my Dart with Ipod, Satillite Radio, MP3 player hookups, no cd player. CD's are going away they're too big and costly to keep around. I can take my Ipod or MP3 with me (that's about 500 albums) in my pocket.
You chose, boxes of CD's or all the music you own in your shirt pocket.

Good luck

I just got an ipod a week ago from my brother in law. I love it. 200 song right now. Its a smaller 2G but its all ready got 14hrs of music on it.

Im going to look in to having an I pod input and amp outs on my stock radio.

You can get a 2gb Ipod shuffle for $50. I have 189 songs on mine. Didnt pay for a single one. They either came from the few playable cd's I have left or from Limewire.

You can get a CD player with an ipod input. That way when CD's go the way of the 8 track you wont have to upgrade again.

I just got an ipod a week ago from my brother in law. I love it. 200 song right now. Its a smaller 2G but its all ready got 14hrs of music on it.

Im going to look in to having an I pod input and amp outs on my stock radio.

Adam, we have a gent out this way who takes our stock radios and replaces all the internals. Our Am radios turn into AM/FM, you can have 2-4 RCA cables coming out the back for amps and a jack for your Ipod to plug into. It's just brilliant.

I made my own little cd box, covered it in vinyl and it sits right on the transmission hump ...no drilling!!!

Believe me, it's not cheap but after you get over the initial shock, it's an enjoyable way to listen to music in your classic while retaining the stock appearance of your radio.

about how much does it cost? and does the original AM still have to work for him to work his magic?

I believe its around $400, so its not cheap but it doesnt look out of place and you dont have to hack up the dash.

I am looking at painting this the same color as my int.
And install the cd.am.fm stereo there.
And keeping my original stereo in place and working.

$22.00 dollars not counting paint.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 055.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 056.jpg

-
Back