Mounting Front Speakers

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay I want to mount a set of 6.5 inch speakers in my 65 Barracuda. I don't want them to be seen so I was thinking on the passenger side mounting in the void next to the glove box. Any suggestions on how to mount? I am considering mounting a piece of sheet metal to the backside of the dash. The speaker would face the heater box.

How do you remove the factory speaker from the dash?

Have you looked at using the dual 3.5" speaker bracket here
It mounts in the place of the original in-dash speaker...

Pulling the factory speaker on your 65 barracuda should be similar to my 64 valiant (assuming no AC)..
-remove the radio
-might need to disconnect one or both heater hoses
-might need to unscrew the fuse box
-i removed the heater control on the dashboard (pull the knob as far as it goes and use needle nose pliers to turn the 'star pattern' piece, that releases it from the front of the dash), unplug the harness on the backside.
-speaker should be accessible, just need to remove 2 nuts that mount it.

I made a 'console' for my Dart it goes straight down from the Dash right in front of my automatic shifter 'console'. It has my CD player and some 5 1/4" speakers on each side. Then I just have some box speakers for the rear floorboard. It sounds pretty good.

One recommendation is to use the original dash speaker location to mount two smaller speakers and if you need more bass output to put hidden larger bass drivers under the seat, behind the dash, or wherever else you can hide them. Look at this link about half wa down the first page for a couple of options to mount two 4" speakers in the dash opening. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=129759&highlight=back+speaker

Then you could put an underseat 6" or 8" flat sub for bass reinforcement. It ends up sounding pretty good.

Food for thuoght........

Oh ya, removal is pretty simple. Just lay on the floor under the dash and reach up behind the radio, There is a connector from the radio to the speaker to disconnect and then remove the two nuts holding the speaker bracket in place.

In my opinion, your easiest way to do everything is to install the speaker bracket underneath the dash where the original speaker went. I put 3.5" speakers in but some 4" speakers will work also. I also put in the 4x6 kick panel speakers. That coupled with the 6x9s in the back sounds awesome. Just my 2 cents

-
Back