Mounting fuel pressure gauge

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
I would like to mount my gauge out on the cowl. Problem being, how do you get under the ribbing to slide in a plate to screw into or bolt too? can you get in there from under the dash? i was going to cut a small slot where the washer tubes run and go at it there? any ideas pictures would be great. i am not using self tapping screws through the ribs.

I don't know what car you're working on so I'll wing it with a response. You can reach the underside of the cowl by taking off the fresh air box under the dash. It isn't that hard. If I'm doing what you're trying to accomplish I would drill and tap a plate with the bolt spacing you need. Then use a temporary type glue to attach it to a screwdriver. Slide it into the cowl through the fresh air opening and have someone watch through the cowl and guide you to where it needs to be. Then they can screw the gage into place. Twist the screwdriver loose and you're done. I don't think you are getting a plate and hand into the cowl.
Good luck. Sounds like a job that will require adult language.

Well looks like this has never been done? i will do it and post a thread sticky about it then. Be a first cool.

If you do it under the ribs I would just solder a wire to the plate and remove it once you are in position..... I actually screwed mine to the cowl using an inverted gauge plate behind the ribs and ran the line down through the ribs under an aluminum gauge cowl I made. You can kinda see it in this pic on the red car.
vbpgimage.php

Well looks like this has never been done? i will do it and post a thread sticky about it then. Be a first cool.

I haven't done it, but I if were to do it you already got good advise.

Measure a metal piece to use to mount the gauge, 3/4" wide maybe 2-3" long

Measure the spacing needed and drill and tap

Also drill small hole on each end

Tie wire or string on each end

Tie loop in one end of the string

Made a wire fish making a hook on one end and make wire into an arc

Start the string and bracket thru the cowl

Take wire and fish the string out of the cowl thru the opening needed

Either bolt another piece to the top or the actual gauge bracket to it.

As far as hooking the gauge up need to determine the best way to get the wire/line to the gauge and hook up before mounting the gauge if it needs to go thru the cowl/firewall

Really not that hard to do.

I don't fish but have been fishing a lot.

I tore the interior out of the car this weekend and crawled up under the dash. That was a dead end.I will fish a thin piece of metal through the ribs or cut a slot on the engine comparment side. Its not that big of deal.

I don't understand why you can't fish it up from the driver's side cold air vent? If you need more working room they are not difficult to remove. My 67 was 3? nuts

Would it be too far over to mount it "sticking" the screws down through the vent ribs? Would not have to even drill any holes

-
Back