movement in park on startup

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
I get a small lurch forward upon start-up in park when cold. Only at first, every few revs, then gone when warmed up. I'm assuming it's related to torque convertor (?) 3200 stall.

My duster does the same thing. Don't know why either.

Has nothing to do with the converter. I've seen 2 things cause it. The rear clutch pack is a little too tight. I've had that happen on one trans. I rebuilt and got the clearance a little too tight. After about 3,000 miles it stopped doing that. The ATF is thicker when cold so the pressure is higher and makes things worse. When it warms up the pressure drops slightly and it doesn't happen. Another possibility is the shifter linkage is slightly out of adjustment. It's kinda touchy and has to be fully engaged into park to drop all pressure from the system.

Has nothing to do with the converter. I've seen 2 things cause it. The rear clutch pack is a little too tight. I've had that happen on one trans. I rebuilt and got the clearance a little too tight. After about 3,000 miles it stopped doing that. The ATF is thicker when cold so the pressure is higher and makes things worse. When it warms up the pressure drops slightly and it doesn't happen. Another possibility is the shifter linkage is slightly out of adjustment. It's kinda touchy and has to be fully engaged into park to drop all pressure from the system.

Have been watching this post and thx for your answer fishy68.....appreciate your tranny knowledge :cheers:

Interesting. I had a similar experience with my old 68 Barracuda 318/904 (AKA the green slime). Anyway, I got out one morning and it tried to drive in park, had no reverse, drove in neutral (full auto in all forward gears), 1st gear at any speed when put in first, drive was normal I think and second seemed to be second. It was like the Twilight Zone and I did nothing about it. I just kept driving it to work on a 30 min commute each way and made sure I didn't get parked in. About two weeks of driving everywhere in neutral and one race with my buddy's 67 Barracuda (the blue smooth) the insanity stopped. I went around a corner after blowing his doors off and it went into neutral. I then put it in drive while on a roll and it worked. I stopped and checked out all the positions and everything was working like it should. It fixed itself!!! Are MoPars cool or what!!!! I never knew the cause of this but assumed it must have been some crud stuck in a shuttle valve or something.

Have been watching this post and thx for your answer fishy68.....appreciate your tranny knowledge :cheers:

Mine does it sometimes too. Thanks fishy!

No problem guys. Glad to help any time I can.

Interesting. I had a similar experience with my old 68 Barracuda 318/904 (AKA the green slime). Anyway, I got out one morning and it tried to drive in park, had no reverse, drove in neutral (full auto in all forward gears), 1st gear at any speed when put in first, drive was normal I think and second seemed to be second. It was like the Twilight Zone and I did nothing about it. I just kept driving it to work on a 30 min commute each way and made sure I didn't get parked in. About two weeks of driving everywhere in neutral and one race with my buddy's 67 Barracuda (the blue smooth) the insanity stopped. I went around a corner after blowing his doors off and it went into neutral. I then put it in drive while on a roll and it worked. I stopped and checked out all the positions and everything was working like it should. It fixed itself!!! Are MoPars cool or what!!!! I never knew the cause of this but assumed it must have been some crud stuck in a shuttle valve or something.

That does sound like a stuck valve. I have had all kinds of weird stuff happen when valves stick in the valve body. A can of K&W Trans-X can do wonders sometimes to relieve sticking valves.

-
Back