Moving rear springs.....

-

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Without cutting on the frame? I saw a post over on BBD about this but knobody has posted any pictures of this. Anybody over here have any good info about doing this? Perhaps pics of the set up and a little advice on how to? I'm getting some things moved around in the garage and getting the '67 on jackstands to get ready to move the springs and do the floors, I would rather not cut the frame, but will buy the MP kit and do it this way.

Thanks in advance fellas,
Dustin

The 3" spring relocation kit involves notching (cutting) the frame for the M.P. boxes to be welded in the frame for the front spring hangers directions should be included with the kit.
I have seen post where other people have decided to just mount these boxes on the inside of the frame to avoided the cutting. The drawbacks are less room for the exhaust, The gas tank will be in the way of the springs, and the spring perches will be even closer together giving the car less stability around corners.
I would not recommend it, spend the money and do it right either way you still have to relocate and weld the perches on the rear end so a welder is still required

zhandfull said:
The 3" spring relocation kit involves notching (cutting) the frame for the M.P. boxes to be welded in the frame for the front spring hangers directions should be included with the kit.
I have seen post where other people have decided to just mount these boxes on the inside of the frame to avoided the cutting. The drawbacks are less room for the exhaust, The gas tank will be in the way of the springs, and the spring perches will be even closer together giving the car less stability around corners.
I would not recommend it, spend the money and do it right either way you still have to relocate and weld the perches on the rear end so a welder is still required

This is not what I'm talking about doing. There was a company that has since been out of buisiness (ABC) or somthing like that, that did make a kit to move the springs inboard without cutting the frame. Somthing from the sounds of a sleeve that went over the exhisting frame and using other mounts made into the sleeve per-say. I'm fully aware of what the Mopar Performance kit is, and what is involved, as I've read enough on the subject it feels like bags of sand have been dumped into my eyes.

I take a little offense, not that you meant it, that I would do somthing half assed. I know you don't know who I am, and that you don't know that is not me. I'm not affraid of work, welding, or anything else you may be insinuating, I'm trying to figure out a way to do this, correctly, without cutting out part of frame structure to keep it all rigid, and if anything add more support.

Thanks in advance,
Dustin

I just recalled others doing this and being very happy about not having to cut the frame. I misunderstood your question and was just pointing out the things I personally didn't like about it doing this with the M.P. kit
There was no offense meant to you or even others that may have done this work this way.

QuarterHorse said:
Without cutting on the frame? I saw a post over on BBD about this but knobody has posted any pictures of this. Anybody over here have any good info about doing this? Perhaps pics of the set up and a little advice on how to? I'm getting some things moved around in the garage and getting the '67 on jackstands to get ready to move the springs and do the floors, I would rather not cut the frame, but will buy the MP kit and do it this way.

Thanks in advance fellas,
Dustin
I'm going to relocate my springs using that kit and also mini tub my wheel wells.I'm putting a 440 in my Dart and it will be loaded for bear.I need as much tire as i can get.

Gearjammer said:
I'm going to relocate my springs using that kit and also mini tub my wheel wells.I'm putting a 440 in my Dart and it will be loaded for bear.I need as much tire as i can get.

I know what you mean, I've got a stout small block going in, it's just sitting on the stand waiting for me to get the shell done.

I understand what you mean but have never seen the kit or pics of tis process, but I would be very interested in it for sure as I too want to move my springs into the frame rails. So how do the springs mount to this setup, is the mount in the stock location just inboard like the relocationkit where you cut the frame and weld the new box in. You definately have my attention on this one!

I've never seen the kit either, there was talk over on BBD.com about it, and was curious if anybody over on these boards has heard of it.

It sure sounds interesting! I am going to search around for information on that over the next few days will let you know if I find anything!

QH. I think I understand how they did this relocate without cutting, but, I don't think I'd like the results. One being that the resulting height of the car would be too high, since the spring perch would be "below" the original height. The only way around that would be to modify the arch of the spring. Would it not? I've been out in the shop scratching my arse, trying to see a way around your delema. Can't see any. I think, if cutting the frame is not in the cards, maybe remove the whole thing and install a 4-link or a ladder bar setup.

Yeah I see what you mean, unless they moved the spring a little further inboard than right under the sub-frame. You'd have to make a bracket that would "hug" the stock sub-frame, and then have the mount for the spring.

That is from BBD.com and it is cutting the rear sub-frame. I will be ending up doing this, but was looking for a way to NOT cut the rear frame.

QuarterHorse said:
Yeah I see what you mean, unless they moved the spring a little further inboard than right under the sub-frame. You'd have to make a bracket that would "hug" the stock sub-frame, and then have the mount for the spring.

Excactly. Moving springs inboard even further. I was a tad uneasy cutting into the frame as well, even though it is the excepted method. I added 'bracing' after, and I boxed in the 'the cutouts' after fitting the spring. That way there were no open ends. I also re-inforced the 'outer walls of the frame rail where it was cut away. I was already there with the mig.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v77/zackweiler/Dad/?action=view&current=ce0df8ab.jpg
b3fbdd9f.jpg

I have seen the front brackets turned over and welded on the sub-frame and then a plate added across the front as a gusset. This lowers the front of the spring which will raise the ride height a bit. When you reweld the spring feet you will also have to correct the angle. The rear shackle had a tube welded through the frame rail similar to the "boxed" installation. The car ran and hooked well.

i have seen what you were refering to, and no pics were posted sadly, from what i was reading i get the idea that an H shaped bracket was used so that it could be bolted to the frame rather then welded, i however would like to see pics of this as well, i had heard however that there are issues with producing these because someone holds a patent for them

Nathan here, got a 69 valiant in need of spring reloc. kit, Im 20 yrs old with a bit of fab. experience.. floor pans frame connectors .. and such things. and to honestly tell yall, im kinda freakin out b/c if when i cut and well the boxes in, if its not precise, the damn car will dogtrach down the road and look/handle like hammered ****. need some quick advice or the most accurate way to do this. read a post but the guy drew lines on the concrete with chalk.. thats to backwoods for me , plus ive got seamsealer and undercoating all over the floor from the floor plans.. need some help my fellow mopar brothers.. :cussing:

Use a tape measure, measure from a symetrical point on the car. Where on the car is up to you.

I used the original hanger as a reference when I welded mine in. I ran a long rod thru the new spring box, frame rail them the original hanger. This way the new spring box bolt hole will be inline with the original just farther inboard. After it was welded in place I removed the old spring mount.

Chuck

go to mancini web sight and chec out the following
mopar #p4120077 offset front spring hanger
& #p4120075 off set rer shackle kit
maybe this is what you are looking for
mike

go to mancini web sight and chec out the following
mopar #p4120077 offset front spring hanger
& #p4120075 off set rer shackle kit
maybe this is what you are looking for
mike

Summit racing has the offset shakles and hangers also.

-
Back