mp3 hook up in stock radio?

-

halfhemi

Original Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of old vintage Stock radios on Ebay with MP3 hookups installed. Does anyone know how to hook up the wires inside the radio. It appears that it is simply a small headphone jack. Please advise.

You basically connect the output of the mp3 player to the wiper arm (center terminal) of the volume control, BUT:

The exact way you do it depends on whether it's a really old radio that used DC coupling between stages, or a more modern radio that used capacitive coupling.

And if it's a solid state radio, it depends on if it's an old radio that used PNP transistors, or a more modern one that used NPN transistors.

You also need to insert a SPDT switch in the circuit in order to switch the radio's audio amplifier between the radio and the mp3 player.

Post a schematic of your radio and I can advise you further.

I am still really happy with the work Gary Tayman did on my '62 Lancer's original radio in the early-mid 1990s. He converted it to FM/AM operation with an aux input (originally for a Discman, now used with an iPod), without changing the appearance of the unit at all. The conversion parts he used at that time were rather primitive compared to what he has available to install currently, but as I say, the conversion job he did back then still works just fine. You turn on the radio and it's AM, just like it always was. Flick it off and back on, and you have FM.

Having seen what correct FM/AM for my '73 Dart go for on eBay, I am not going to buy one; I'd rather put the money towards a conversion of the AM unit in the '73, because that way I'll have an iPod plug-in and the capability to drive more than just the single speaker in the dash, and the radio/dash will still look untouched stock.

Other options are this place (I have no experience with them, but they appear to offer a service of adding FM dial markings to converted radios…perhaps Tayman can also do it), or for a totally different approach, this device.

-
Back