mpg on 1984 chevy truck.

-

catjuggler

Reaction score
I know it's not a mopar or a a body but this is the only forum I use for cars and I'd really like you guys opinion. I'm looking at this 1984 chevy truck and I'm a little worried about mpg. I know without knowing more about the truck it would be hard to say but I know it's a 350 with a 600 cfm carb. Here's a link for the truck. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4346699613.html
Any opinions would be appreciated. Sry for placement of post. Thanks

does it have a overdrive trans? 4l60 /turbo350c /or a th 400?

I had a 85' 2500 4x4 with the 3+1 trans. IT got 10 MPG no matter what.

My Dad and my Uncle both had 78's both were 4X4. They got about 7. No kidding, if you hit passing gear, you could stare closely at the fuel gauge and watch it moving steadily to the left, and that was with a 32 gallon tank.

My 90 suburban 4x4 350 TBI/700r4 was rated for 13mpg when new. Probably 10 if I'm lucky. All in all, if it's mpg your worried about, you better stick with a car or small truck

You might as well figure no truck with a V8 is going to get good fuel mileage. My 02 Dakota with fuel injection and overdrive only gets about 19 down the highway.

So, then the mileage would be a little better than my V6 Dakota Crew cab. Now that really sucks!

Dads 85 long bed with a 350 and od regularly netted between 15-20 mpg. Its all about how you drive.

Also too, back in the day my brother had an 84' long bed with a 305, it also had a 4 barrel like dads, dont know if it had overdrive. He regularly netted 7 mpg. Its all in how you drive it.

Dads 85 long bed with a 350 and od regularly netted between 15-20 mpg. Its all about how you drive.

While driving style does have a huge effect on mpg it's not always how you drive it. When I was young I owned quite a few Chevy's and some got fairly good mileage while others didn't. One I had in particular, a 74 Monte Carlo with a 350 2 barrel got terrible mileage (7-9) no matter how easy I drove it. It ran great and had 3.08 gears so it wasn't spinning hard or laboring, just a smog era inefficient engine. I added a Comp 260 cam, dual plane intake with a 650 vac sec carb, and dual exhaust with better stock manifolds (ram horns) and the mileage over doubled. So did the power

While driving style does have a huge effect on mpg it's not always how you drive it. When I was young I owned quite a few Chevy's and some got fairly good mileage while others didn't. One I had in particular, a 74 Monte Carlo with a 350 2 barrel got terrible mileage (7-9) no matter how easy I drove it. It ran great and had 3.08 gears so it wasn't spinning hard or laboring, just a smog era inefficient engine. I added a Comp 260 cam, dual plane intake with a 650 vac sec carb, and dual exhaust with better stock manifolds (ram horns) and the mileage over doubled. So did the power

X2 ,Tracy. The old man,bought a stripped C10 baseline,Nov .7th ,73. 307/three on the tree/3:08's(?) . The damn brick,got 17-22 mpg,at 60-62 mph.He did , put good primary & secondary ignition parts on it(points system) That goofy 307 had 120+ k on it,when we sold it. Hit 200+k ,before the 307 died. Great truck.

You bad mileage guys must have some really bad driving habits. my 87 Suburban got 16 and my 89 gets 15. They are/were both 5.7 EFI.

As for the truck in question, with headers and who knows what under the chrome air cleaner, I'd pass at that price. About $1500 maybe.

You bad mileage guys must have some really bad driving habits. my 87 Suburban got 16 and my 89 gets 15. They are/were both 5.7 EFI.

As for the truck in question, with headers and who knows what under the chrome air cleaner, I'd pass at that price. About $1500 maybe.

A feedback Q-Jet is EXPENSIVE... (usually,275-400 bones). Being an 84,it's a C.C.C. feedback carb. Who knows,if the sensor wires,got chopped. And,the cat converter?. I don't know emissions tests,in Texas. I would avoid ,anyway. 1200-1500 sound right.

i ended up with a 1985 dodge D250. i know its not much better but i think its really nice.

-
Back