Mrs Orcutt's driveway 1976

-
When reading that article, it's nearly impossible not to hear the typewriter and a narrative voice of the author, through a cigarette and a bad microphone.

Authors-and-typewriters-017.jpg

Pretty interesting, that even back then, nobody liked what they were seeing in automotive trends, coming from Detroit.

Hmmm, if you HAD to buy a new car in 76...what would it be?

Nice pic- selectric and llama tapestry!!

...and is that an early bose?

Volare RR in spitfire orange 318 four speed with t tops.
Maybe LRE.

New car in 76 ? For me it would be a 455 4 speed Trans Am.

Attachments

• 76ta21.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 371
Yes disc brakes, radial tires and sway bars really expanded the performance envelope to include more than just forward acceleration. Yes performance did go underground by '76 but if you read the option lists carefully you could order a car with not only decent performance but you could live with everyday.

Maybe LRE.

Ooh... good choice.

121025_ac32b902e9_low_res.jpg

I think... hmm... If we're going 1976 and it has to be a car...

1976-lancia-stratos--1_800x0w.jpg

Last year for a Lancia Stratos. Good luck finding one, ever, in any year or condition.

If we're talking a more common, dealership car...

76-Chrysler-Cordoba-DV-10-CM_07.jpg

Rich...

Corinthian...

Leather...

Maybe to go with my typewriter, while on the beach, writing my memoirs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_vxMA1PHC0"]Morgan Freeman's Cigarette Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

If I could go back to '76 and buy any car, it would be a loaded Charger with 360.

The Stratos is cool! But it's a special just for racing/rallying, like the '69 Charger Daytona was for stock car racing.

Yeah. Like the Daytona, very few of them were available, but they were available. I think some 250 each year had to be produced. What a wild car that was. That thing was built to destroy rallye cross and that's exactly what it did.

Another cool choice, from 1976;

nerdboy1.jpg

I'm talking about the pants, mostly.

****, I still rock corduroys just like those.

I remember really liking that lancia tomy pocket car (Japanese hot wheels/matchbox competitor) I had in the 70's.

Didn't do the cords revival in the 90's, but have been sneaking colored denim in lieu of khaki/dress pants at work for 15 years!!

The corduroy revival pants in the '90's were retarded and huge.

Skateboards got tiny, the wheels even smaller, pants got huge and so did wallet chains.

I'd take the car, too.

Saw one, yesterday up at the cruise that had me wishing my '72 was done.

Amywith240Z1_zpse20fe5cf.jpg

I had a friend in the early 90s that was big into z cars.

I took him for a ride at 120+ in my 71 torino GT, and he ended up buying one (interesting twist, eh?).

I can respect them, though.

I had an 86 CS Daytona after the torino, and worked about 50 min away via I4.
About 3 out of 5 days, I'd run with a z on the way home (late car of that same body style before they changed), and sometimes later on the week ends. It was actually a pretty good match at highway speeds.

Mr. Bonds, you got me thinking in a different direction. The Datsuns were cool, but I have to change my Charger answer to a Jensen Inteceptor. I'd rather have an earlier one, but a 440-powered '76 I could live with.

Oooooh. I likey!

Nice pic- Selectric and llama tapestry!!

Maybe LRE.

Plymouth Feather Duster, 318/4-speed.

No LRE until 1978.

Geez: this is FABO, and I think I was the only one to pick a danged A-body?!?!

I would by a blue 76 Road Runner 360/4 no T-Tops for me.

The LRE was only offered in '78 and '79.

I also bought two Dodge Vans in 1976. Both were B200's one was a Tradesman 200 with a 318/727/9.75 rear, and a 127" Wheel base.
The other was essentially the same van but with a 440, 727 for towing. Like I told Rob, yesterday during lunch, there were plenty of pissed of Camaro and Chevelle owners around Clifton NJ, when that 440 van pull up to them at traffic light. lol

IF I were to go "back in time" and buy another 1976 vehicle, it would be a Dodge truck or van.

Maybe LRE.

didn't buy a new car in 76, but in Feb of 77 Ordered a new Aspen

Went thru the order sheet and it had about every option available

360, Auto on floor, Power Windows, Locks, T Tops, fold down seat, posi rear, cruise, tilt, magnum wheels

added a rear spoiler from JC Whitney

wanted a new firebird but worked at Chrysler and they were everywhere. My car was a stand out

View attachment 77Aspen1.jpg

View attachment 77TTopAspen.jpg

but I tried to buy a Roadrunner in Orange with black vinyl top and T Tops, but they wanted list price and told them no way would I pay them list, so went somewhere else and order the new Dodge

could you get a v8 feather?

didn't buy a new car in 76, but in Feb of 77 Ordered a new Aspen

Went thru the order sheet and it had about every option available

360, Auto on floor, Power Windows, Locks, T Tops, fold down seat, posi rear, cruise, tilt, magnum wheels

added a rear spoiler from JC Whitney

wanted a new firebird but worked at Chrysler and they were everywhere. My car was a stand out

View attachment 1714654930

View attachment 1714654931

but I tried to buy a Roadrunner in Orange with black vinyl top and T Tops, but they wanted list price and told them no way would I pay them list, so went somewhere else and order the new Dodge
That is cool, rare as well I would think having all those options.

What happened to it?

-
Back