MSD 5520 any good?

-

swies

Wish I had more time.
Reaction score
I purchased an HEI set on here and I am looking to max the benefits. I don't have the cash for a new 6 or 7. How will this work with the HEI? Currently running factory electronic ignition on a 9.5:1 318 +.030. I want to install the HEI and the spark controller at the same time and found one for $140 new.

Basically all you will be doing is using an HEI output capable coil with the MSD box.
It'll work fine as long as you stay within the ohm rating the MSD box wants for a coil.
You would do yourself a big favor by spending that money on a performance oriented distributor instead if you don't already have one.

Both the MSD and your HEI need a coil, so what you would be doing is replacing the HEI module with $140 MSD box.
(Just so you realize that)

I can help you with the distributor if you need it.
Just message me.

Basically all you will be doing is using an HEI output capable coil with the MSD box.
It'll work fine as long as you stay within the ohm rating the MSD box wants for a coil.
You would do yourself a big favor by spending that money on a performance oriented distributor instead if you don't already have one.

Both the MSD and your HEI need a coil, so what you would be doing is replacing the HEI module with $140 MSD box.
(Just so you realize that)

I can help you with the distributor if you need it.
Just message me.
Thanks for the info.
So if I understand right, the MSD and the HEI are exclusive. Either one or the other?
I am glad you responded. I have followed your HEI discussions.

Thanks for the info.
So if I understand right, the MSD and the HEI are exclusive. Either one or the other?
I am glad you responded. I have followed your HEI discussions.

Yup, that's pretty much it.
HEI is what controls the spark, and the MSD is what controls the spark. (both just high speed switches)
The coils are what put out the spark they are capable of.
There are differences though, between the two in area's like MSD's multispark at lower RPM's and the HEI only one spark per cylinder fire, and the obvious design and marketing differences.

Myself, I don't care if my ignition system has a name printed on it or not as long as it does the job reliably and inexpensively.

I don't go much for names either. I am however interested in the sub 3k multi-spark as well as the built in rev limiter. But if my money is better spent else where it's no good to me.

So I think I wasted some money. This is the distributor I purchased on this site. No p/n no info. Dumba$$!!!
Can you tell me anything about it or should I start at square one?

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

You should be able to drop that and a good coil in and go.
It looks like a "Ready to Run" type, meaning the spark control is inside the chrome cover.
On most of those, red wire goes to ignition 12v+ and to coil+ both, and the black wire to the coil-

Take that with a grain of salt, but that's how the distributors with a box on the side usually are.

-
Back