MSD 6200 and Tachometer hook-up

-

KIII

Reaction score
73 Dodge Dart Sport. I have a MSD ignition. Previous owner replaced stock dash with that of a Duster with the tach between speedo and fuel,alt,temp. The long post on back of tach goes to switched +12 volt and the short post goes to the tach output on the MSD. Is that the correct hook-up? Thanks.

If that is what the MSD Instructions say, then that should do it. Does it say you need converter of any kind to make it compatible with the MSD?

Which MSD?

If that is what the MSD Instructions say, then that should do it. Does it say you need converter of any kind to make it compatible with the MSD?

Which MSD?
Its the 6200 6a MSD instructions say I need an adapter. I hooked it up as said and it didnt work. Can tachs fail?

Forgive my mechanic skills, but how do I check my tach?

I found this online........

Your Long Stud would be + and the short one would be - to the battery charger.

How to Check Your Tachometer

I found a discussion that talked about using a 12 volt battery charger to check the tach.

The theory goes that a 120 Vac 60 Hz battery charger puts out an imperfect DC voltage. It is actually a pulsating DC voltage that corresponds to

* 1800 rpm for an 8 cylinder,
* 2400 for a 6 cylinder
* 3600 for a 4 cylinder

Well it works! When I hooked it up to my tach's input (+ve to tach +ve and -ve to gnd), it showed exactly 1800 rpm. The technical theory goes like this. The battery charger doesn't put out a DC signal, it is a 120 Hz full rectified waveform. When a battery charger is connected to a battery, the battery acts like a huge capacitor and smoothes out the waveform (simple explanation). I used a frequency counter to verify that the battery charger was putting out 120 Hz.

Here's the math:

120 Hz = 120 cycles/sec

120 cycles/sec * 60 = 7200 cycles/min

There are 8 cylinders, so 7200 / 8 = 900 cycles/min

but it is a 4 stroke engine which only fires on 1 firing stroke (combustion)

It fires once every 2 cycles

So 900 cycles/min *( 4 strokes/1 firing stroke) * (1 firing stroke/2 cycles) = 1800 cycles/min or 1800 rpm

Its the 6200 6a MSD instructions say I need an adapter. I hooked it up as said and it didnt work. Can tachs fail?

Lots of things can fail.

Instructions say you need an adapter to make that tach work. You do not have the adapter, and the tach does not work.

So far, the instructions are right.

Sure the tach could be bad as well, but it will not work without the adapter.

-
Back