MSD 6530

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
I'm going to try one.My 6520 is messing up.4800 rpm banging.Ot pulls till there.I changed plugs,wires,reluctor,pickup,cap&rotor,and played with the carb.

trial & error gets costly, that why I use a mopar chrome box and a Procomp adjustable rev limiter. Its inexpensive and it works great. Its all you really need on a street/strip car. if your pro drag racing that's a different story. I have seen so many of the MSD Units go bad and cause havoc. In my opinion there just not worth it.

dad's car has had the same msd box since the mid 90s when he bought it used. it's about the only thing on the car that hasn't needed worked on...

Typically its the Coil that goes bad. How is the fuel pressure when it starts poppin?

Borrowed a coil and have pleanty of fuel pressure.I even put 116 in the tank just to see of I didn't have enough octane!

ok. Just a fyi the 6530 requires either a laptop or the hand held programmer to set up. They do work well and have lots of settings and rev limiters and timing tricks you can play with.

made any changes to the motor prier to this happening, bigger cam same springs, falls on its face at lower rpm, valve float? broke valve spring?

This is a (6520) Digital 6 Plus? If so I had issues with the one on my Dart, it would pop a couple times after the gear change at the strip only. I tried everything you did plus changed the valve springs with no change.

Someone recommended that I change the rpm settings on the built in limiter. At the time I was shifting the 408 at 6400 with the limiter set at 7200. I dismissed the idea because it was popping after the gear change not before. The problem carried over to the 434 and got worse, to the point that after the 2-3 change it acted like the engine would shut off. It was running and would idle but not pull hard.

My local track had a street car shoot out on a Saturday and I had been checking stuff all week and wanted to make some hits to see if I had got lucky and fixed it. So the wife and I drive it to the track so I can make a few hits. Same old same old. Coming down the return road I remembered the limiter so when I got back to my pit spot and set it 9900 or something like that and went back out for another pass. It was a different car, no pop, bang and it didn't lay down. I made another pass just to see, it ran great again so I set both dials on 0 and it's ran great ever since.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
I had everything turned up.It pulls to 4800 then bangs.I've changed a bunch of stuff cept for the box.Thanks for all your segestions.I had the same box in my camaro and no problems.I'm selling my engine and wanted to fix the problem so a buyer can drive the car.It's just a 70 440,68 crank,906 heads ,509 cam .To me it's slow.I have a 470 to chunk in.It will have more hp and I hope I'll be content.Although I did wax a few mustangs and a Malibu b4 I up graded to the 6+.Thanks again you fellas always have good ideas!

-
Back