MSD 6al-2 vs Digital-6 Plus

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Are any of you guys using a MSD digital-6 Plus or one of the new digital 6al-2 boxes? How do you like them? Looks like the only differences between the two is that the digital 6-Plus has a switched retard and a start retard function.

upload_2021-3-11_7-51-6.jpeg

upload_2021-3-11_7-51-39.jpeg

I only have experience with the Digital-6. I bought one when they were first released, paid over $350 for it and it failed after 1 season of little use. Just out of warranty, I asked MSD if they could recondition it (even at some cost to me), but they said they were not serviceable like the old boxes because they are fully potted inside (so much for improvement). Later I find out they were potting them the first few years to protect their technology from being reverse-engineered. That left a bad taste in my mouth, not helped by multiple Blaster SS coil failures on top of it. On the flip-side, I have had ZERO issues with my 17yr old 6-BTM box. All that to say, I dont know what to recommend to someone these days...

I only have experience with the Digital-6. I bought one when they were first released, paid over $350 for it and it failed after 1 season of little use. Just out of warranty, I asked MSD if they could recondition it (even at some cost to me), but they said they were not serviceable like the old boxes because they are fully potted inside (so much for improvement). Later I find out they were potting them the first few years to protect their technology from being reverse-engineered. That left a bad taste in my mouth, not helped by multiple Blaster SS coil failures on top of it. On the flip-side, I have had ZERO issues with my 17yr old 6-BTM box. All that to say, I dont know what to recommend to someone these days...

I have never had an MSD failure on 5 dif hotrods , if I were going to buy a new ignition , I `d look hard at the new petronics stuff , multiple sparks all the way thru the rpm cycle .

Do you know what caused the failure?

What did you replace it with?

I swapped out an MSD 6AL and MSD Blaster coil for a Crane Hi-6 and PS92 coil and the difference was very noticeable.

I have a digital 6 plus. I’ve had it new on the shelf for 10 years. Then 2 years ago I get to finally use it. All seemed good but the tach signal didn’t work. I sent it to MSD for them to fix it. Cost was 40$ plus return shipping. I haven’t used it yet. Car is off to paint. My reply is worthless

-
Back