Msd 6al

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Another million dollar question. Would an MSD 6AL ignition box help my MSD Ready To Run ignition? Right now I just have an MSD Blaster coil. Would I see any benefits from this? My distributor said it was an option to run the box. I have eliminated the ballast resistor as well. So far it runs good, just trying to get every little bit of help I can.

Thanks,
Darren

I have the same setup. a ready to run dist with a blaster coil. I added the 6AL box and it made no difference at all. The only advantage you will get is that you will then have a rev limiter ... I took the 6AL box off and used it on another project ...

While the box will help, whether your ignition needs any help is the real question.

It depends on how much cylinder pressure you're making and what RPM you're turning. The MSD Ready To Run distributor isn't a capacitive discharge or multi-spark setup. I'd say it is roughly equivalent to the HEI conversion setups for spark power. The MSD 6AL produces a hotter spark with less dwell time, but unless you're spinning the engine so fast the RTR can't get enough time to charge the coil or making so much cylinder pressure you blow out the spark, that won't help.

Well put. My cylinder PSI, checking one cylindr at a time, with the spark plugs in the other cylinders and throttle blades closed, register from 170 to 180 psi. I was told the proper way to check cylinder pressure was to remove all plugs and hold the throttle blades open. I never spin it past 6500 RPM's.

-
Back