MSD 7531 PROGRAMING TROUBLE, HELP!

-

gregsdart

Reaction score
I have a 7531 digital 7, and the hand held monitor for changing rpm, etc in the program of the 7531. When trying to go to shift light, rhen gear select rpm, it won't go from SHIFT to the next level to set shift light rpm or number of gears. I have to have a way to only allow two shifts, as my new TF valve body is a safe neutral, with shift pattern P R 1 2 3 N. Using the regular rpm switch would shift it into neutral before the end of the run, not a good plan! I attempted to hook up my laptop, but can't make that connect, possibly due to a poor nine pin to usb converter, or no com port selected?
anybody got any ideas? I could as a last resort hook up a relay to my Dedenbear cc and use a throttle stop circuit to run a relay, only allowing a ground for the rpm switch for a certain time period. But that adds more wiring and doesn't allow different rpm selection on each shift like the MSD shift light does, if i can ever get into the program to set it!

I have a 7531 digital 7, and the hand held monitor for changing rpm, etc in the program of the 7531. When trying to go to shift light, rhen gear select rpm, it won't go from SHIFT to the next level to set shift light rpm or number of gears. I have to have a way to only allow two shifts, as my new TF valve body is a safe neutral, with shift pattern P R 1 2 3 N. Using the regular rpm switch would shift it into neutral before the end of the run, not a good plan! I attempted to hook up my laptop, but can't make that connect, possibly due to a poor nine pin to usb converter, or no com port selected?
anybody got any ideas? I could as a last resort hook up a relay to my Dedenbear cc and use a throttle stop circuit to run a relay, only allowing a ground for the rpm switch for a certain time period. But that adds more wiring and doesn't allow different rpm selection on each shift like the MSD shift light does, if i can ever get into the program to set it!
i spent ten minutes on the phone with MSD tech, going through the motions of using the hand held monitor to set rpm values, and every time i go from SHIFT to rpm/gear select it goes to the wrong part of the program . The tech guy didn't have an answer, and i then tried to go to my laptop and i can't get connected to the MSD for either a poor nine pin to usb converter, or no com port selected? can anyone help with this can of worms? I have a new nine pin to usb converter ordered, to arrive tomorrow. If that will allow access to the MSD program, i might be able to set this thing properly, but any help here or input appreciated!!!!

20230524_064938.jpg

Screenshot_20230524-065453_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I can make sure and not swirtch on the ignition till i am fully into the MSD program

Ok I would try that because it will say no com port detected if ignition is not on. I’ve had it tell me that while the ignition is on and then when I click “ok” there is a com port that is available.

Stupid digital ignitions are finneky.

I did switch to the grid from the digital 7 and the grid is much simpler

Not sure what the benefit of this 'new' system would be over the ign in post #3 & a working tach....

The difference is when you are clocking low 1.20 60 fts, the front is two feet in the air, and it is time to shift! So a system capable of running an air shifter, working with a shift pattern of P R 1 2 3 N, and firing a 15.25/1 compression methanol motor, among a few of the benefits it provides.

The difference is when you are clocking low 1.20 60 fts, the front is two feet in the air, and it is time to shift! So a system capable of running an air shifter, working with a shift pattern of P R 1 2 3 N, and firing a 15.25/1 compression methanol motor, among a few of the benefits it provides.

When all someone builds is low power junk the HEI looks like a world beater. It’s a dong beater.

Talking about yourself again.....

You havent a clue. Glad you posted a Vizard build because you ain’t doing it.

You ought to know you can’t do anything with an HEI that can with a decent CD box or a grid.

Keep using junk. I expect that from you.

Nope, nice try. Post #11 is stand alone HEI.
And another one...

img276.jpg

The GM HEI system changed the goal posts for inductive ign. It used IC control and variable dwell to extend the rpm range. The MSD 6 ign was initially a failure because of the extremely short spark duration, about 1/10th that of ind ign. ran rough & misfired at lower rpms. Some bright spark [ pardon the pun ] at MSD said: We will make it multi spark at low rpms. So an engineering failure was converted to success with marketing hype!

Dr. Hugh Holden [ www.worldphaco.net ] did extensive testing & research on HEI [ MDI ] & CD igns & did a comparison of both. [ might be a bit hard for you to understand RB, some words have more than five letters ]
Results/summary are below:

img277.jpg

All of this bullshittery arguing and dick measuring is getting old and clouding up every thread between you two. This is doing the OP no good AT ALL. Will you both knock it off please?

All of this bullshittery arguing and dick measuring is getting old and clouding up every thread between you two. This is doing the OP no good AT ALL. Will you both knock it off please?
exactly. please take the personal stuff, attacks and backbiting elsewhere

The GM HEI system changed the goal posts for inductive ign. It used IC control and variable dwell to extend the rpm range. The MSD 6 ign was initially a failure because of the extremely short spark duration, about 1/10th that of ind ign. ran rough & misfired at lower rpms. Some bright spark [ pardon the pun ] at MSD said: We will make it multi spark at low rpms. So an engineering failure was converted to success with marketing hype!

Dr. Hugh Holden [ www.worldphaco.net ] did extensive testing & research on HEI [ MDI ] & CD igns & did a comparison of both. [ might be a bit hard for you to understand RB, some words have more than five letters ]
Results/summary are below:

View attachment 1716094475
That's funny. Bruce figured out that at higher vaporization rates and higher compression ratio's the Inductive ignition couldn't cut it as the better mixture required a stronger spark that's why he advocated for CDI. We are talking High Horsepower to Cubic inch power ratios in street and racing applications. What happens in the cylinder is very different to what happens on a work bench.

anybody got any ideas
Sadly this isn't the place for that level of discussion as 99% wont be using a datalogger. SpeedTalk might be a better option as it encompasses a broader range of readership.

Rat Bastid,
You couldn't fix anything.

I apologise in advance to you, Greg, as after RRR's #17, I was not going to post anything further on this thread. However, RB continued his abusive rant & I feel I need to defend myself. The abusive stuff was not started by me, it was started in post #9 by Rat Bastid & there was no need for it.

-
Back