MSD 8504 help

-

IRISH RT

Reaction score
Hi Recently purchases an E Curve non Vacum, I have read the instructions but find them difficult to find what my advance curve should be , How do you determine curve m Do I set total at idle then subtract by taking timing out via the two dials , For example it was initially set Dial #1 @ 1 and Dial #2 @ 7 that was with 10degrees initial , Then had a play at Idle with the dials and set it up #1 @ 3 and # 2 Dial @ 7 the the initial changed to 30 degrees on the pulley took it up to 2500rpm and timing didnt alter much, So if you have a 360 ported heads etc Plz advise me the simple method to get the best results Thanx

Hi Recently purchases an E Curve non Vacum, I have read the instructions but find them difficult to find what my advance curve should be , How do you determine curve m Do I set total at idle then subtract by taking timing out via the two dials , For example it was initially set Dial #1 @ 1 and Dial #2 @ 7 that was with 10degrees initial , Then had a play at Idle with the dials and set it up #1 @ 3 and # 2 Dial @ 7 the the initial changed to 30 degrees on the pulley took it up to 2500rpm and timing didnt alter much, So if you have a 360 ported heads etc Plz advise me the simple method to get the best results Thanx

Look at the graphs in the instructions and choose how much mechanical advance you want. Why are you using the "locked out" settings? The two setting you ran are EXACTLY the same, curve Q from the charts.

If you don't know how much total timing you are going to run it's tough to get a the break down of initial and mechanical.

Here's a simple one as a start if you are running a mild cam. 15 initial and 20 mechanical all in by 2200-2500. Look at the 20 degree chart, pick a letter and set it. If you want more initial, then go the opposite 20 initial and 15 mechanical, look at the 15 degree chart, pick a letter. It's the "Wheel of Fortune" of ignition timing. :)

I tend to run my stuff with a lot of initial timing as long as it starts when hot.

Thanx For Pointing me in the right direction , bought my slf a note book to enter all the Combos and cross off till I find the right one , It seems to like 20% That Been E, F, G H started on 6 #1 dial and 8#2 dial great trottle response no Pinging But Did not like it at idle kept cutting out another will try 4-8 next

Figure out what the engine wants for initial, what it wants for total and it's a pretty easy process. IMO, What you are doing now is throwing dart in the dark at a dart board.

Here are the two I would try, 0,7 and 1,1

Since you are not using vac adv, you only need to pay attention to the combos on line 1 of the chart.

Determine what the engine wants for initial timing!

I just fought with my buddy's car trying to set up this same distributor. **** will not dial in, idle stays high, backfires like crazy ...... instructions suck !!! gonna have to start from square one with this, maybe set it up like a "normal" distributor and see what happens

Im Back to Confused state on this , The Way I understand it is the you Set your total when static and the you wind it back usung the dials 1 and 2 , Then some people say to install get as much initial timing as you can and then add in the 15 or 20% combos sounds simple but complicated , Why so many combos to try for 15% 20% 25% How much difference will it make while your on the said 15% column etc eg if your are at the drag strip and you wanted to take the edge off can you adjust the dials to suit???

If it didn't run well at idle did you reset the carb?

EVERY time you make changes to initial timing it's going to alter the carb settings. Especially if you are making 5* swings.

This is not that hard. No vac advance, all you need to be concerned with is any combo in line one of the chart. In your case, the first dial should NEVER be set at anything other than 0 or 1.

I'm trying man, this is bugging as much as you and its not even my car !!

Cannot see why just 0 or 1 on the first dial, I have ran 1-7 which is lock out, 6-8 which made good power but tended to stall and was rough idle probably needed mixtures changed , Then I ran 4-8 drove 150 kms loved it went hard no pinging but was hard to start when hot???,

If it didn't run well at idle did you reset the carb?

EVERY time you make changes to initial timing it's going to alter the carb settings. Especially if you are making 5* swings.

This is not that hard. No vac advance, all you need to be concerned with is any combo in line one of the chart. The first dial should NEVER be set at anything other than 0 or 1.
I would take this advice.

we ended up at 0-6, timing dropped to 18 initial as it should. but couldn't get the idle down and was popping out of the exhaust like crazy. might have a carb issue going on ...

Cannot see why just 0 or 1 on the first dial, I have ran 1-7 which is lock out, 6-8 which made good power but tended to stall and was rough idle probably needed mixtures changed , Then I ran 4-8 drove 150 kms loved it went hard no pinging but was hard to start when hot???,

If you don't understand why, look at the bold above and the instructions.

What do each of the dials control? What does Dial 1 control. What does dial two control. Figure that out and you'll understand why you are chasing your tail using ANY other setting than 0 or 1 on dial 1!

What initial does the engine want and what total? If you can't answer that, you can't properly set this distributor up.

Get a pair of 10 sided dice and start tossing them, same deal. :)

Good luck on it, I hope you get it sorted out.

-
Back