MSD billet timing

-

74swinger360

Reaction score
So i have searched all over for this on FABO and havent found it so im going to ask. I have a 360, .030 over, eddy cam, eddy 750 carb, msd ignition, coil, and billet distributer. The distributer doesnt have a vacuum advance on it. So when i go to check the timing do i need to cap anything? when i switched to the msd dizzy i capped the line going to the old dizzy. When people refer to capping the vaccum do i cap it going to the carb also or do i leave that alone? also what is the best way to time an engine with the msd billet distributer. I know there are a million timing threads so sorry.

If there is no vacuum line on the dist then there is nothing to cap. Just set the timing as you normally would but don't worry about capping anything on the dist.

The 360 should see 34 Degrees at 2600 RPM (all in by then). The distributor came with springs and spacers to set this. You will need a harmonic balancer with the 34 degrees on it, or an offset timing light.

Just pull the vacuum line off the carb and plug the nipple..you won't be needing it with the msd distributor i run my 360 at 36 degrees setting it by running the motor at 2500 rpm and using the dial on my timing light to dial it in..

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to buy an offset timing light so i can time it up really good. I have all the springs and stuff that came with the dizzy. I believe it has the two heavy springs in it now. Any suggestions. I was thinking a blue and a light silver. along with the heavier bushing.

The bushing controls amount of advance, the springs control the rate of advance. It comes with the blue bushing(21*) so if you set it at 15* you will have 36* total. follow the guide for changing springs and make 1 change at a time.

-
Back