MSD Coil & total timing help

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I just installed a new MSD blaster 2 coil and I am running the mopar performance orange box ignition kit. I am currenlty running it with the ballist resistor that came the mopar ignition kit. Thought I read some where I might need to change the ballist resistor, any help is appreciated.

Second question I thought I was getting around 36* total timing but I just got some timing tape and found I was only sitting at 24* total (12 intial) all in by about 1,800 RPM beyond that there is no more advance and I checked it up to 3,500 rpms, if I go much beyond 12-14 initial it begins to ping. The only way I can get my total timing anywhere near 36 is if the initial timing is around 24* which obviously is not good. I know I need to work on the distributor, but need some pointers on where I can find the appropriate parts required to get the timing where it should be. (springs or a kit etc) I wish I would not have dropped $200.00 on the Mopar kit, $75.00 on wires and $45.00 on a coil, I should have just bought the complete FBO system! (I still might, if I can't get this system to work)

You are not saying what dist. you have. Does it have vaccumn advance? If it does, is it hooked up? leaking? or bad diaphram? If it does not have vaccumn advance the amount of advance is controlled buy the bushings that stop the weights, you may have to change them. The speed at which the mechanical weights are applied is controlled by the little springs attached to the weights.
To only have 24* total advance something is not working right inside the dist. That is where I would start looking.

Jack

I have a re-manufactured electronic distributor

the springs are probably too stiff. i believe they sell a kit for recurving it.

24 at idle is not too much. I have a 410 stroker with ede alloy heads. I use a MSD Ecurve dissy set at 30 degrees at idle @ 750 revs with 15 inches of vacuum. I have a hughes 236 @50thou roller cam in and it idles very sweet now after much experimenting. I have 34 degrees total timming but with the vacuum connected goes to about 46 or so.
They do not kick back against the starter as this unit only gives about 4 degrees on cranking until it get over 400 revs then goes to normal advance.
It starts first time cold or hot. I know how much advance is too much as you can feel it on light throttle pulling back on the motor. You must remember that when you go WOT it destroys vacuum advance so you will only get your 34 total on WOT. I also took the advice of a mate and opened up the plugs to 60 thou gap, which gave a definite improvement in idle quality and starting.

-
Back