MSD help

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK. I am just getting things ready to fire her up. But I have more questions than answers because I suck with electrical. So here we go. First off I installed ammeter gauges in my car which includes a tach and also a volt meter. I followed the MAD electric instructions to get rid of my amp meter and drilled out the two bulkhead and engine harness plug and ran the heravy red and black straight thru into the engine bay as shown. So what I have installed is an MSD ready to run distributor. An MSD 6AL multi spark box and an MSD coil as shown in the pictures. I am now trying to figure out how this all goes together and MSD instructions do not help me with the two (red and black) wires which eliminates the amp meter. My understanding is that these are to become two feed of sorts? My questions are as follows. Am I to assume that the mopar orange box is now not used here? Am I also to assume that the ballast resistor is eliminated? How about the voltage regulator? I have not installed any of those 3 items yet and was wondering what I need? Where should I install them. It appears my wiper motor has a ballast resistor on it? Is that what it is or is that for the wiper motor?

IMG_3949_4749.JPG

IMG_3930_4730.JPG

IMG_3935_4735.JPG

You need that resistor on the wiper motor for the wipers, not sure about the rest.

You need that resistor on the wiper motor for the wipers, not sure about the rest.

Thanks, So that resistor on the wiper motor is not the ballast resister? I notice the ballast resistors usually seem to be located on the firewall at the top end of the inner fender panel? But I am wondering with the MSD stuff if I need to install one on my car?

Don't need a ballast resistor with a MSD box. Link the blue and brown wires together and connector to the small red wire from your MSD. That will fire the MSD in both start and run key positions.

The one on the wiper motor isn't related to your ignition as mentioned.

The MSD replaces the orange box.

Don't need a ballast resistor with a MSD box. Link the blue and brown wires together and connector to the small red wire from your MSD. That will fire the MSD in both start and run key positions.

The one on the wiper motor isn't related to your ignition as mentioned.

The MSD replaces the orange box.

Hey Cracked, I have to THANK YOU BROTHER as you are a wealth of knowledge. Are you a mechanic or a race car driver or what. You seem to really be knowledgeable and your responses are always precise and clear as a bell. Thank You......

Raced and wrenched on cars going on 40ish years. Thanks for the compliment.

I try my best to answer questions. I hope the comments/answers help and you get the car up and running. :)

-
Back