msd problem

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I installed my msd and it cranks like it wants to catch, but then it just dies.

Anyclues?

huh? I have 2 wires comming off my dizy. One is grey and one is Yellowish
Which one is + and Which one is -

go to msd website. they have instructions. the wires you are talking about go to the purple/green wires. the red goes to a 12v ignition source. the thick red/black go to battery + and -. the orange/black go to coil.
like i said, go to the msd website.

I got it. Thanks guys. The red wire thats suppose to go to the old + coil wire I guess wasnt getting power, but when i put it on the battery it worked, but now i dont know were to put it, maybe starter relay

The small red wire should connect to the original wire in the wire harness that used to go to the coil positive terminal. That's the power on and off wire coming from the key switch. If you hook it to straight power via the starter relay the engine won't turn off when you shut off the key.

I've seen this movie before. Maybe earthmover can chime in.

Only wires that go to the coil come from the MSD box... NOTHING ELSE.

I got it. Thanks guys. The red wire thats suppose to go to the old + coil wire I guess wasnt getting power, but when i put it on the battery it worked, but now i dont know were to put it, maybe starter relay

Take the ballast resistor out and connect the two ends of the connector together and hook the red wire to where you had it on the old coil+.

Sounds like you had the ballast out but didn't tie the two ends together. When you crank the car power is applied to the down stream side of the ballast which accounts for it wanting to start but as soon as the key is released power is removed. By tieing the ends together (or leaving the ballast installed) you will have power in either position.

So should i leave the blast on? or just splice the wires together?

-
Back