msd streetfire ignition

-

345man2

Reaction score
are these units any good and how much horsepower will they support:D

I can't tell you,anything on that.I can tell you,it is digital,and has some nice features.I watched one at work,sit for 15 months.The 6a,next to it,sold 3 times in the same 15 months.Hopefully,someone will chime in.

well this is a street strip build and it all seems to be digital they are going to, trying to figure out how they stack up to a 6al or mopar perf electronic kit:D

Get on summit racing and compare it to the msd 6a and 6al. It depends what you need. The summit compre tool allows you to see how many volts each box produces and when and for how long. How many milijoules or how the rev limiter works

We are running a Street fire ignition setup on my dads 72 high compression 318 (bored .30 and zero decked) works great still using a stock magnetic dist.

My understanding is they are sorced out to china, etc to make a cheaper product with similar functions as their 6A,Al products.

In all, for a street car it will be perfectly fine. But in my opinion the stock mopar elec ignition is pretty good too.

According to MSD's tech line and their current catalog, heres the basic specs:
STREETFIRE: 95 mJ of spark energy @ 10-18 volts, 435 volts- primary voltage. 43,000 volts secondary voltage, 20 degree crank rotation for spark duration. 15,000 rpm max @ 14.4 volts .7A draw per 1000 rpm's. tested with a blaster coil.

DIGITAL 6A AND 6AL: 135-145 mJ of energy per spark @ 10-18 volts. 535 volts - primary voltage 48,000 volts - secondary voltage. 20 degree crank rotation spark duration. 12,500 rpm max @ 14.4 volts. .7A draw per 1000 rpms. Tested with a blaster SS and a blaster HVC

I'd take a look at the odd similarities between the summit brand digital ignition box and the MSD 6AL... ;) ;) wink wink...lol .right down to the wiring diagram. the street msd box is for mild street apps only. for the price of the summit box and knowing you were getting a something very.... "similar" to a 6AL, i'd go with that. I've run them in multiple 600+ horse, 7000 RPM cars and been happy. Has a starter assist, a voltage/tach signal warning light. and it's completely plug and play, and makes the ignition completely independent to the vehicles factory wiring (dumping the OE ballost setup). that's my suggestion!

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...Spark-Digital-Capacitive-Discharge-Ignitions/

-
Back