Muffler or NOT

-

srixon4406

TURBO TOAD
Reaction score
OK guys I'm almost road ready with the turbo 6 and I'm wondering what to do with my downpipe exhaust ill be running 3 inch from the exhaust housing and reducing it down to 2.5 back to the bumper I was wondering if I'm going to need some back pressure present in the system like a muffler or cherry bomb or if the reduction in pipe size well do the trick

Also about how long of the three inch pipe should I run before I reduce it down or should I run straight 3 inch back

This is going to be mostly track car but will see some road time I'm planning on running boost levels in the upper twenties to lower thirties also I'm running a 44 mm wastegate one more thing that may play into the equation is the exhaust housing itself
I'm getting a different turbo a pte6262 DBB and I'm Alittle bit undecided weather to go with 58 or 68 ar exhaust housing
The 58 should do the trick it should spool fast and hard but I'm bit concerned about top end but all the research I've read this turbo starts making boost at about 2200 rpm and peaks out but still makes power thru 5500 rpms the dyno numbers I seen on this turbo were taking with a 63 ar housing but that housing was a t3 I'm working with a t4 flange
What do you guys think

Run the 3" as far as you can. In my testing, switching from a 2.5" downpipe (whole exhaust) and substituting in an 18" length of 3" down pipe and mergingit to 2.5"...that was good for 10RWHP.

No back pressure after the turbo is ideal. It helps spool up (faster). I run 3.5" to the axel and a 3" tail pipe.

Run a straight through muffler. The turbo will also muffle noise as well.

I run this muffler but in a 3.5"...thier site was slow so no link...sorry.
Summit Racing SUM-630805 - Summit Racing® Glasspack Mufflers

TOM thanks I gotta a line on some 3.5 inch pipe last night a friend had and was going to scrap so that's what I'm going to run I'm not even going to waste my time and that will be one less thing I have to change in the future
Tom what size exhaust housing are you running with the pte6262 I just picked one up but it is a t3 63 ar housing but I'm going to get a T4 pattern and I'm undecided on weather to go with 58 ar or 68 ar exhaust housing
Thanks always
Aaron

i seen no difference running a muffler and not. i even ran the car on the dyno both ways with no difference.. i drive it everywhere with no muffler..

I had a chance to look at the pipe I got from my buddy its actually 3 inch so that's what I'll be running I miss spoke in my last post

Id get a dynomax bullet! I love mine except mine is a bit larger! It helps keep it sneaky. They are a straight through design a 3" would be under 50 bucks from summit. I just bought my dad a 4" for his car it was 47$

if you want a small dia. muff look into flowmaster outlaw mufflers... i had one on mine when i ran a muff..

Id get a dynomax bullet! I love mine except mine is a bit larger! It helps keep it sneaky. They are a straight through design a 3" would be under 50 bucks from summit. I just bought my dad a 4" for his car it was 47$

Agreed. Tames the exhaust a little and keeps it sneeky. Straight thru works good.

-
Back