muffler weep hole

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
ok i made that up but,Some mufflers come with a small hole to let water drip out and some dont.So my turbo mufflers I just got does not have this hole.anyone have knowleadge on this hole good or bad.

The weep hole is there to get rid of moisture either liquid or steam (once the exhaust gets hot, They help the mufflers last longer. Most of the cheaper mufflers don't have them.(the manufacturers probably don't want them to last). I allwats drill a small hole in the lower back end of my mufflers if they don't come with a hole. Don't want them to rust from the inside out.
toolman

Drill them, stock ones virtually always came with them for good reason. As did the tailpipes and the chrome tips.

Tom

Great post here....I know there are weep holes for moisture on the chrome tips from the factory, but I will check the mufflers also before install....:happy10:

A friend of mine works about a mile from his home and goes through mufflers about every two years. He never gets a chance to dry out the exhaust. The weep holes are a very good idea coupled with driving the car far enough to thoroughly dry out the system.

ok i made that up but,Some mufflers come with a small hole to let water drip out and some dont.So my turbo mufflers I just got does not have this hole.anyone have knowleadge on this hole good or bad.

The combination of combustion along with moisture in the exhaust system and engine oil combine to create a mild hydrochloric acid. In the case of exhaust systems if this is not drained or run long enough for all of the moisture to be evaporated causes corrosion to occur. A small hole drilled at the low point of a muffler is a good idea. In the case of engine oil, same thing. The oil has to get hot enough to evaporate the moisture from the engine oil. Another reason to not skimp on basement bargain brand lubricants. Short drives are bad! Those living in areas where humidity is low, it is not as much of a problem.

Do the weep holes show up on the back of the muffler pointed towards the back of the car, or on the bottom of the muffler pointed towards the ground?

Do the weep holes show up on the back of the muffler pointed towards the back of the car, or on the bottom of the muffler pointed towards the ground?

I drill them at the lowest point on the bottom so any moisture that does not evaporate can drip out. The best way is not to drive the car to the store and back. Let it get up to temperature and stay there for a while.

Well i do plan on drilling holes in thease thrush turbo mufflers#11715.

Is your exhaust installed yet? I've ordered my 2.5" kit and will need to buy mufflers once the kit arrives. I was thinking of getting the Thrush turbos as well so I'm interested to hear how they sound.

-
Back