Mufflers choice ?

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
70 Dart, 370 hp 360 magnum, with a 150 shot of gas
Dougs D453 headers
Looking under the car for clearance for the mufflers, it Looks like offset inlets/outlets
Might provide best clearance versus straight thru.?????
3 inch collectors, 3 inch pipe all the way out the back is the plan
Im listening to ultraflow welded, and super turbo sound clips

Ultraflow will be louder and make more power. Super Turbo will be quieter and have a more old school sound.
Most mopars were offset inlet/center outlet but 3" pipe may change what works best over the axle.If it is too tight I doubt 2.5 tailpipes will cost you much hp with the Ultraflow.

Three basic muffler types, straight thru, (can have offset inlets or outlets) turbo style, and chambered (flowmasters, hooker aeros, and copies).
Find the sound you like and go from there.
Generally, straight thru are loudest, turbos quietest, and there is a reason flowmasters are also known as dronemonsters.
My solution for good power and reasonable quiet is: get the proper size through pipe for the application, and then get the biggest, longest muffler that will fit under the car.

I have had Flowmaster 40 series for 25 years. 3 inch system. Never had any drone. I I had a crossover pipe for a few years and then an x pipe which changed the tone of the car significantly. Like the way it sounds and car did the same mph with the exhaust on and off. But that was with a 509 cam in a 6 pack 440 long block within 850 on an M1

I have had Flowmaster 40 series for 25 years. 3 inch system. Never had any drone. I I had a crossover pipe for a few years and then an x pipe which changed the tone of the car significantly. Like the way it sounds and car did the same mph with the exhaust on and off. But that was with a 509 cam in a 6 pack 440 long block within 850 on an M1
I have had a 3" Flowmaster single (50series big block) on my 454 pickup, that was barely louder than stock, 3 1/2 50series bigblocks that are HUGE, under my b-body that I love, and 3 1/2 hooker aeros that I liked just fine after I got used to them .
Three different chambered systems, no drone from any of them
SO many variables influencing sound.

My solution for good power and reasonable quiet is: get the proper size through pipe for the application, and then get the biggest, longest muffler that will fit under the car.

This is the problem I'll be working to solve next year. I want a little bit of rumble/noise, but subdued amplitude because I plan on doing a LOT of driving and don't want to get a headache from being in the car for extended periods. I don't want to hurt power output at all and I'll have electric cutouts for when I am feeling frisky.

I'm an anomaly running headers and dual exhaust off a /6 with 2" pipe. Flowmaster chambered...offset to accommodate routing...

Convertible sooooo Drone? What drone??? :D

For what it's worth. Ive had Flow Masters on my SB Land Cruiser for 30+ years, love the sound. Just installed the Flow Master Super Series 10's today. Listening to other rides here with and without a crossover pipe I went with no cross over. Much more lope and rasp without. 68 Barracuda 340 2.5" pipes. I went with Temporary clamped pipes stopping before the rear axle for now/ test drives.

I have hooker aero chambers on my desoto 408/headers/3”/x-pipe all the way back. I think it’s sounds great, can’t figure out how to attach a video from my phone?

70 Dart, 370 hp 360 magnum, with a 150 shot of gas
Dougs D453 headers
Looking under the car for clearance for the mufflers, it Looks like offset inlets/outlets
Might provide best clearance versus straight thru.?????
3 inch collectors, 3 inch pipe all the way out the back is the plan
Im listening to ultraflow welded, and super turbo sound clips
I must be the old man out.
I went with 3" electric cut outs into 2.5" Pypes X pipe,Street Pro Mufflers
, tailpipes with a stock style 2.5 SS tips
The Street Pros sounded fine enough to me.
They market a 3" exhaust and mufflers in A- Body as well.

I must be the old man out.
I went with 3" electric cut outs into 2.5" Pypes X pipe,Street Pro Mufflers
, tailpipes with a stock style 2.5 SS tips
The Street Pros sounded fine enough to me.
They market a 3" exhaust and mufflers in A- Body as well.
Cool, cut outs are in my future plans too!!!

Cool, cut outs are in my future plans too!!!
Hooker had a sale on Blems. So had to have some . Keep in mind they go 3" into them, and 3" out the cut out side. But are 2.5" to exhaust. Can be had with 3" and 2" as well.
here they are after I cleaned them up. They would have been fine as is. But I do have a background in SS steel restorations {Trim} and polishing aluminum as well as polishing things prior to triple plating. So leaving them messed up was not an option.
I did the pipes too.

Exhaustdumps3.jpg

Hooker had a sale on Blems. So had to have some . Keep in mind they go 3" into them, and 3" out the cut out side. But are 2.5" to exhaust. Can be had with 3" and 2" as well.
here they are after I cleaned them up. They would have been fine as is. But I do have a background in SS steel restorations {Trim} and polishing aluminum as well as polishing things prior to triple plating. So leaving them messed up was not an option.
I did the pipes too.

View attachment 1715955259
Beautiful Work!

-
Back