Multi-Spark

-
I agree with that. Also I measured the resistance of a champion plug and it measured 14.556 kilo ohms and the AC Delco measured 4.12 kilo ohms. Wouldn't that tell me that the AC Delcos are better since they have the least resistance?

I agree with that. Also I measured the resistance of a champion plug and it measured 14.556 kilo ohms and the AC Delco measured 4.12 kilo ohms. Wouldn't that tell me that the AC Delcos are better since they have the least resistance?

Less resistance does equal more current flow so I guess that should mean a hotter spark. I don't know much about spark plug technology and construction but I wonder if that has something to do with the heat range?? I would bet as they get older the resistance goes up in value. Resistors usually do when they heat cycle allot.

The important thing is you got it running allot better.

I haven't ever measured plugs to know what they measure. Hum: gonna go out and measure a few. I have 3 or 4 different brands in the same heat range.

BTW: I've had good luck with NGK V-power plugs.

That difference is insignificant and is not going to impact how the egine runs at all.

In the EFI world, it's actually a bit crazy to try running low resistance plugs - the ones with less resistance can hurt power by putting out too much electrical noise, and they don't make a significantly hotter spark.

Initial timing is most determined ...Once you get this all dialed in the best you can then you can start to worry about jets in the carbs and in the case of your Edelbrock carb metering rods.

Great post, very informative - Thanks!

Thought I'd throw this in since the original post asked about the Summit Ignitions. The Summit ad in the June 2008 issue of Mopar Muscle has lower prices on the Summit boxes than Summit catalog & the same ad in Mopar Action. The standard box is $107.95 (normal catalog price is $129.95) and the rev limiter box is $143.95 (normal catalog price is $169.95). Anybody think this is worth buying? I was considering one mainly for the rev limiter function.

Thought I'd throw this in since the original post asked about the Summit Ignitions. The Summit ad in the June 2008 issue of Mopar Muscle has lower prices on the Summit boxes than Summit catalog & the same ad in Mopar Action. The standard box is $107.95 (normal catalog price is $129.95) and the rev limiter box is $143.95 (normal catalog price is $169.95). Anybody think this is worth buying? I was considering one mainly for the rev limiter function.

It don't look like a Mallory box physically but if you look at all the numbers (power consumption, power output, etc...) their identical too the Mallory box. I'd just about bet they got Mallory making them for them. I have a Mallory (forget what number) but it has the rev limiter and it works great. Had it about a year now and always works fine. I tested voltage output with and without it and it makes a good difference. In fact my tester won't go high enough to test the actual output. Without it the output shows approx. 40,000 volts. That's with a Mallory Unilite dist. and coil. With it it still throws a massive spark when the tester is screwed all the way out which is 50,000+ volts. I sure wouldn't want to get nailed by it. Sounds like a miniature lightening strike.

-
Back