My 1970 Dart Swinger

-
Gotta admit, these type of threads are my favorite to look through and read. Nice job and good to see the car moving right along

Looking sharp with that color contrast and nice job on the detail work!

Did the door jams and doors yesterday and today.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

The vin sticker on the door was covered with a clear sticker. The edges of the sticker under the clear had rust discolaration. I peeled the clear sticker off, cleaned up the rust stains and masked the underlaying vin sticker. After the base coat of color I peeled off the masking and shot the clear, sealing the vin sticker under the clear. Wasn't shure how else to go about this as it is not possable to get another one of these stickers but it would have looked treeible if I left it alone.

vbpgimage.php

You're making great progress, keep the pictures coming. I will be painting my 71 yellow as well. What color is this? Nice work! L8r

Jim

Haven't updated in awhile so here goes. I primed about 3 weeks ago and it went on like cottege cheese. I am pretty shure it was a combination of the primer not being reduced enough and the panel temps too hot, it was 95 degrees and I was painting in direct sunlight. Anyway I had to use the DA sander with 180 to knock it down and then block with 180. this exposed several high spots, "shiners".

I primed again yesterday and with the overcast and lower temps and lots of acetone the primer went on smooth. Today I am about halfway done blocking with 400. Hopefully color will happen in a couple of weeks.

Weldedrail,
look up A.G. Backeast (Datatags.com) they can make a new door V.I.N. tag that looks perfect. youll need to send him a picture of your old one and thats all you need. I just recently had him do a fender tag and a door tag for my 70.

Thanks for the tip on the door tag.

Car is wet sanded and ready for paint, booth is set up (Friends Garage), trailer is here, loading the car tonight, hopefully it will all be yellow by tomorrow afternoon.

I was not shure we had enough paint left to spray the outside, had less than half a gallon of base in the can. Went to the paint store to find out they changed the formula again (California VOC's etc.). So I can't get the same exact paint. Basically the new stuff dosen't use the activator, its already added. We thought about spraying the new and then the old stuff over it, shooting a test panel first to see if there were problems but in the end the guy at the store hooked me up and took the old paint back as a return and gave me 3 quarts of the new formula but only charged me for 1. It mixes 1 to 1 with reducer so we will have 6 quarts of ready to spray.

It's go time tomorrow morning, pictures to follow...

Got the base coat on Sunday. It got late, we had been at it for 14 hours and decided to shoot the clear today. Fixed a few defects this afternoon and shot a tad bit more base. Then layed down 2 coats of clear. Still have the valances to paint but we held off as there was no room in our "booth". We finnished just in time becouse here comes another "La Nina" winter, the rains have started in California. Pictures tomorrow if the sun comes out.

Excellent workmanship on a very cool car.

You might have to jet that carb up a little to get it to run right but otherwise those are very good carbs.

Ok, I really wish the sun was out when I took the pics but here they are. Have a few minor issues to fix. a little dust but most of it will cut and buff out. A couple of light spots but so hard to tell with the color and light. Might re-shoot the hood as is has a couple of long scratches where the sanding block contacted the raised edge of the hood. Also one of the raised edges on the hood has the worst light spot. The other light spot is on one of the pot metal end caps. The only run we had was a sag in the clear on one of the front fiberglass nose pieces. Also have a spot on the window channel where the paint reacted with the seam sealer, have to re-shoot that spot. If anything I am very satisfied at how straight the body work came out.

We are our oun worst critic arent we.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

looks awesome!! nice to see a payoff for your hard work.
on your door tag, i got all my factory tags from ECS awesome stuff, you put my repop door tag beside the factory tag and you cant tell them apart other than the original is 40yrs old.

Hell , how much would i need to pay you to come out to Rohnert Park and do the body work on my 70?!

and yeah its an old thread what of it?! haha

-
Back