My 1972 Plymouth Duster...plus a 71 Scamp?

-

bthieson

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm fairly certain that most parts from these two cars are transferable, but I just want to verify. I've got a 72 Slant Six Duster that has a body in beautiful shape. I know a fellow selling a 71 Scamp, that's a big bondo job, but it still looks decent. It has a blue printed 360, 727 tranny(Console setup), Buckets, and a 8 3/4 rear with 5X4.5 bolt pattern. I want to take all of these parts off the Scamp and throw them in the Duster. I'm almost 100% sure I can just grab everything and bolt them in, but figured if there were any discrepencies, you folks would know about them. I currently have a Column shift, so I would obviously need to cut some holes, but other than that, I think everything should bolt right in...no? Are there other questions I should be asking that I haven't thought of?

Gotta drill two holes on each side of the tranny tunnel for the bucket seat track. There are already dimples in the floor to go by. The outside of the buckets uses the holes for the bench seat tracks.

Drill holes in the floor where they're dimpled from the factory. Add reinforcement to inboard holes. Plug bench seat holes (5/8" rubber plug).

If the buckets are "A" body, you will have to drill two holes by the trans tunnel for the stud on the seat tracks.
Although on the engine swap, i'd probably use larger dia. torsion bars and a sway bar up front.

Good luck, have fun!

Thanks everyone! I've already put the sway bar in, and got the Just Suspension Kit for up front. Yeah, I know torsion bars are on my shopping list. I'll probably just scam those from the Scamp too. That's kind of nice that they have the dimples for the buckets in there already. Now what the hell do I do with the Scamp when I'm done making it naked?

Toss all the slant 6 stuff in it, and sell it.
Or keep it for a winter beater, you probably need one in Alberta.

Yeah, I was thinking about putting all the Slant Six stuff back in the Scamp. I guess I could probably sell it for a couple grand. I've got my "beater", it's a 97 Corolla. I need something that gets decent mileage. Yeah...it can get pretty cold up here, but it's actually been a decent winter. It's above freezing today, which is completely unheard of in January. The day I was born (January 21st), it was -42C/-42F...now that's damn cold!

-
Back