My 273 is starting to look like a motor!

-

JDMopar

Reaction score
I finally got this thing together and got it painted. Hope to get it running and broke in pretty soon. Just wanted to stick some stuff on it to make a pic. As soon as I get the roller rockers lined up like I want them, it will be time for WOOMPA!!
26050E4D-FAA0-40EF-ADED-C774A19CE0A7.jpeg

AND….somewhere else in the Mopar world, there is a guy who got a set of chrome factory valve covers that have 2 drivers side valve covers in the box!:BangHead:
BD219132-BEF4-466C-A2F0-9D95D40A81F8.jpeg

Nice - where are you build that- it looks like a very institutional facility.

It will be disappointing to some, I know...but it has a hydraulic roller in it. I just can't stand the noise of solids, plus I also despise adjusting valves.

Nice - where are you build that- it looks like a very institutional facility.
Yeah....we have an engine room here at the nut house! :lol:
Seriously though, it's in the back room of my garage. Ceilings are high and the lunchroom gray, which does make it look kinda industrial.

I know, right! Bad part is, I've had them for years and never opened the box other than the end to look inside....never pulled them out of the box until this evening. The box was still stapled shut when I got them.

Looks great, nothing wrong with a hydraulic roller cam. What heads/pistons are you running? 65'

302 heads with 1.88 intake valves and a little pocket porting. The pistons are Race Tech custom flat tops with 2 valve reliefs. 9.5 compression @ zero deck with .028 Cometic head gaskets.
C012DFF8-DAAB-4818-AF19-A3620544A685.jpeg

I'm using Morel lifters. They are the only ones with the oil band low enough to not come out of the bores. The lifter bores are bushed as well, and everything fits really well. The cam is from Bullet. They had to grind it on a Magnum blank, since that is all they had, and had any hopes of having for a long time. I bought a cam snout adapter from Hughes to be able to run the fuel pump eccentric.
84DFB60D-8193-4813-8603-E13646688A6C.jpeg

Nice cam selection for that 273. That motor should sing. I just love the sound of a high revving small block! 65'

AND….somewhere else in the Mopar world, there is a guy who got a set of chrome factory valve covers that have 2 drivers side valve covers in the box!:BangHead:
View attachment 1716001114

I had a set of those early style valve covers that I decided I would never use - sold them at this year’s Nationals at Columbus.

I finally got this thing together and got it painted. Hope to get it running and broke in pretty soon. Just wanted to stick some stuff on it to make a pic. As soon as I get the roller rockers lined up like I want them, it will be time for WOOMPA!!
View attachment 1716001112

I think you should just use factory hydraulic rockers since you will be using custom pushrods and you and you machinist know what you are doing. No adjustment necessary.

-
Back