My 360 rebuild adventure.

-
And now some pictures to show a little bit of progress! Same block/oil pan from the previous photos.

DSC_0421.jpg

The block back from the machine shop all cleaned up, bored, magnafluxed and mic'ed.

DSC_0422.jpg

VERY happy with the machine work done by the East Side Portland NAPA store.

DSC_0428.jpg

With color! First engine painting job, fairly happy with how it turned out. The HEMI orange pops so much more in person than it does in pictures. I'm starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

DSC_0432.jpg

The oil pan completely cleaned, stripped, primed and painted. Had to use a drill with a wire brush and an entire bottle of simple green to clean out all the crusted up oil on the inside. Not bad looking considering it has a couple of small dings in it for a 35 year old oil pan. I'll probably get an aftermarket Milodon oil pan down the road, but I like this one for now.

DSC_0416.jpg

The valve covers I picked up on craigslist who happened to be another FABO member. Recently shipped off to Leanna for powder coating, and I'm very, very excited to see the finished product.

Next step is to install the crank when my dad or a friend comes over to help, and then I'll start assembling the pistons/rods as well. Just need to go out and find a ring spreader and compressor.

PS--hope you all have a great and safe 4th of July tonight!

Wowwww, that's one clean block.

Thanks for the mention! :-D I'll let you know when they get here. I appreciate your business and confidence in my abilities.

Thanks guys, I actually ordered this cam in the end:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60402LK/

I'll call the machine shop and talk to them about those valves right now. I plan on buying a new stall converter too before too long, I believe that's what you're referring to, correct?

It is called a torque converter. Stall has to do with the RPM the converter will allow the engine to rev too before it stalls. IE Usually for street use you use a lower rpm stall for normal driving. But in drag racing you want to be able to power brake the car and get the engine into it's power range to get a better launch. Just get in your car and put on the brake and in drive press down on the gas. If you have a tach you will see what stall your cars converter is at. At some point no matter how much throttle you give the engine the rpm will not go any higher. That is stall. Most cars stall around 2000 RPM or less.

A little progress this afternoon!

194900_10150938483947734_1062531033_o.jpg

All done and assembled now, just waiting for a second set of hands to help me set the crank in before these start getting popped in.

JohnnyRingo, can we get an update here? I hope you've made progress. Considering a 360 build myself, so this is very interesting to me.

-
Back