My 4 speed is junk!

-

4404spd

Reaction score
Well I finally got my Barracuda lined up yesterday and got to drive it for a few miles till it locked up in 3rd gear. Took the side cover off and the first thing I saw was first gear was all chewed up. Then 3-4 synchro and hub where jambed and wouldnt release. Had pry them apart. Put the side cover back on and test drove it and it locked up in 3rd gear again. I called Passion Performance and he told me the Hub was shot he started rattling off all the parts that needed to be replaced with it and that wasn't counting first gear he was up to $300.00 in parts and it has a slight grind into 2nd. Now I sent this Trans out for inspection to a friend before install and was informed it was a ok. But Jamie at Passion said you cant tell the Hub is bad with out taking it apart. So Im probably looking at $500.00 in parts alone + labor and down time, And a 2 1/2 hour drive both ways to Passion so I decided to take mine out save it and buy a new recondition one from Passion. Its a salty $1095.00 but I dont want to screw around with amiture crapola anymore I want to drive my Cuda with piece of mind and no worrys. Dan What a rant ..lol

Fix it yourself. It really isn't as complicated as one would think. I rebuilt my four speed and it works great. If I remember right, there is only one measurement (thrust for the main gear cluster), and it just takes shims to dial in.

PS-If you decide to replace your four speed. Sell the parts individually from the old tranny, they are worth more separately than a whole transmission.
Rod

Did this all of a sudden occur? Was this an auto to 4 speed swap? Seems you didn't want to shell out $500 let alone $300 for parts but you are gonna dish out $1k for a rebuilt unit. Makes no sense. You could rebuild it, novice or not for less then $1k.

Did this all of a sudden occur? Was this an auto to 4 speed swap? Seems you didn't want to shell out $500 let alone $300 for parts but you are gonna dish out $1k for a rebuilt unit. Makes no sense. You could rebuild it, novice or not for less then $1k.
Its a original 4 speed car, That was a quote without looking at it + labor you do the math. I was looking at it in the stand point fixing verses buying one done. And the down time. Plus its a 2.5 hour drive to Passon Performance one way from my house. And im not rebuilding it myself. I want it done right.

A friend of mine has a NEW 833 4 speed out of a 1970 AAR cuda he is wanting to sell... he is going to a 5 speed. The transmission is brand new.. I can find out what he wants for it if you are interested??? The location is Wisconsin..
Let me know...
Jim

A friend of mine has a NEW 833 4 speed out of a 1970 AAR cuda he is wanting to sell... he is going to a 5 speed. The transmission is brand new.. I can find out what he wants for it if you are interested??? The location is Wisconsin..
Let me know...
Jim
Thanks, I picked up my new one today and its in already!

-
Back