My 418 Build

-

MJD323

Reaction score
Hey, I previously had this thread going in the Racers forum but decided to needed to be moved here as I plan to drive the car on the street WAY more than it will see any race track.

I have ordered and received my kit from Race-Mart. The kit is the cast crank with the ICON forged pistons, bearing, rings, rods etc.

http://www.race-mart.com/Scat_Manufacturing-SCT-1-98013.html

Everything is at the machine shop now and they are waiting on me to bring them a cam to get started on the engine. I have contacted Comp Cams and they have suggested the XE284H camshaft. I have also contacted Hughes and Lunati through the form on their website, but have not got a reply form either.

What would be the cam that you suggest? The car will be mainly street driven with an occasional trip down the 1/4 mile.

Motor/Vehicle specs:

'74 Duster
3100 lbs, 3.23 rear gear, 3000 stall, 904 with reverse valve body

Engine
340 bored .040 with the SCAT stroker kit
Edelbrock aluminum heads/out of the box
10.37:1 Compression ratio
Heddman headers/3 inch exhaust with x pipe/dumps before rear axle

Any suggestions, insight would be appreciated.

What are the plans for the valvetrain? (Rockers / pushrods...ect ect) If I could do it over once more... I would go with Hughes Engines. Hands down no questions, I purchased thier rocker-shaft hold down kit as well as some other parts. They are the best guys to deal with. As for the camshaft I think that cam would be fine altho a custom grind is the same money. Call the guys from Hughes talk to Kevin or Dave. I love my XR286R its like a Dragster!

What intake and carb? I'd probably step it down to a 274ish cam, I don't think you need that much stall speed the engine gonna be done by 5500rpm plus with the 3.23:1 gears a little mismatch. If was a street/strip car I'd go with bigger cam, stall, gears and single plane but the occasional trip the strip I think you be happier dial back a bit.

Hughes makes good high lift short duration cams that work well on the street and pretty good on the strip. Talk to dave like Woodie said. If you are going to more strip give Racer Brown a call and get a real custom grind from a cam grinder.

It will idle like a puppy dog with a 284H, it will make a bunch of torque down low. Strokers chew up duration and that cam isn't big. It may be finished before 5500, I'm thinking 5200-5300.

Run an air gap and a 750dp and it will run good.

The reason I recommend a conservative cam is when people run a conservative gear. With those gears can't see MJD323 spending too much time in the top end of the powerband, an extra 20 hp at top to lose 20 ft-lb at the bottom is not worth the trade, bigger cam deeper gear. That's why for the street I recommend picking your rear gear first then pick your parts to work with your gear choice.

The smaller cam is going to an issue with the 10.4ish to 1 compression. Id go a little bigger. The Lunati Voodoo cams are the best off the shelf cam out there. If you spend a little time on the heads 500hp/tq+ is right there with the Voodoo 60405.

Dont fall prey to the "Custom" cam jive. If its not a full blown race engine and you need every ounce of power you can get, its a waste of money.

After talking to a member who really does know his stuff about engine building my next cam will be a Voodoo. I'm running a mopar purpleshaft cam right now.

With a 4" arm, moving the powerband down isn't really necessary. The torque on these is usually fat, flat and a mile long!

Got a friend with a Dart, runs a 408 with 3.23's, 3500 converter and it runs 11.40-50 at 120 because the 4" arm kicks it's rear. Aren't gonna do that with a 340 where I agree with your premise.

The voodooo line is a really good stick as well. Seen some really impressive output from the 60403 through 405 cams.

Hell,I had a 10 to 1 Eddy headed 408 with a [email protected] 106 lobe center hydraulic,was driveable with a 3400 stall and 3.55s.Cracked is right,stroke eats rough cams like candy.

Thanks so much for all of the input. I see that I failed to mention the carb and intake, sorry. The intake is an Edelbrock Air Gap and the carb is a 750 Holley. My plans for the valve train will include a roller rocker setup, but I have not zeroed in on one particular manufacturer/model.

As for the gears, I would like to change them to a 3.55 or 3.73. But that will come later.

I really like the specs on that VooDoo cam MRL recommended.

As for the gears, I would like to change them to a 3.55 or 3.73. But that will come later.

I would try the 3:23.1 fist before you swap them, I really like mine. The stroker motor makes tons of "Grunt" enough to blow the tires loose in 3rd gear rolling at 35-40 miles per hour!:burnout:

i run a cam motion grind # s2564-10 its around .543 lift and 257 @50 makes great torque and hp and sounds mean it might be a little much for some people for the street but i love it. by the way its a solid flat tappet

The Voodoo 405 WILL make a lot of power. I have built many strokers with this cam Big and Small block, they just make the power!

OK. So I have ordered the voodoo 60405 cam and lifter set and have that I need to have the machine shop put together the short block.

One more question, is there any chance I can run the factory rocker setup with this cam and head setup? voodoo 60405 cam and edelbrock 60709 heads.

I know I should run some roller rockers, but funds are starting to dwindle with a new little one in the house.

All opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

I know it's been a while, but wanted to give an update on the my build. I have finally finished the engine and am ready to install it. I went with PTC and they recommended a 9.5 inch converter, it was put in the car yesterday.

Here is a picture of the completed motor. (Thanks to everyone for the help and opinions along the way!!!)

Attachments

• 418.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 248
Could have sworn I flipped that before uploading. Oh well, here ya go....

Attachments

• 418.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 215
-
Back