My 68 Dart Project

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
In the search for parts for my Duster, I came across a nice little 68 Dart that I can throw together with the parts I take off my Duster. It was a Craigslist ad that came with a complete 440 :D

So, now I take the 340/727/8 3/4, including the K-Member. What would be cool is if I could just unbolt the front and rear end, lift the body off, and drop on the Dart :D I don't know for sure, but I'm even going to try and use the exhaust system. I don't know if the wheel base is going to be a factor, so we'll see what pans out.

Plans are:
  • 340/727/8.75 rear
  • Late model bucket seats
  • New carpet
  • Well, all new interrior.
  • Paint and body...

All the usual suspects. I'm not sure what color I want to go with. It was originally a blue, but I am thinking of white with a black bumble bee stripe. I'm also thinking of trying to find a GT hood...kinda clone a GT...Dunno yet.

j

68 Dart Front End.jpg

Front Left.jpg

Left Rear Quarter.jpg

Package Tray.jpg

Under Hood.jpg

Drivers Floor.jpg

Cancer ridden passenger floor.jpg

I picked up some Neon seats for it today. The drivers seat has some holes in it...kinda like cigarette burns. I was planning on a recover anyway, so no big deal. It only cost me $36 at the Pull-A-Part!

j

Neon Seats.jpg

Nice seats, and a great price! What part of Washington are you in?

White with black bumble bee would look good, not your usual cookie cutter. :D

Good luck with it . I think its so great to see you people bring these cars back to life and give them a future.Im also amaised at the hard work you are eager to do on them.It cant be an easy thing to restore a car like that.White sounds like a very nice color for your project.

I'm up in Everett. I actually have relatives that live in Washougal. I think the Dart will be closer to finished this time next year than the Duster will be. I have so much work, I think I will have to get a second and third job...8)

j

If you are interested in a full factory floor pan I have one.

Well, I had a deal to trade a complete 400/727/8.75 B Body housing for a 75 Dart V8 K Frame, front disc brakes, and an 8.25 rear, but that fell through today :( So, I now have my Extra 400/727 and am in need of a late A-Body K-Frame, Disc Brakes and a BBC rear end :( Oh well, I guess I can just strip down the Dart and get it ready for 340 transplant :D

Tomorrow was supposed to be me swapping suspension on my Dart...guess I'll just be cleaning my garage :(

j

Even worse than losing out on the deal this weekend, I could have bought the car for $500 if I had the cash :angry7: then there would have been no backing out :banghead:

I hope that one day soon, I will have the funds, and can find a suitable donor car.

j

I picked up a very rusty '74 Dart Sport today. She is sitting on the trailer at the folks house. I now have a spool V8 K frame, BBC disc brakes, and an 8.25 rear for the Dart. I can save my 8.75, and 340 for one of my dream cars :D Now I am just waiting on the previous owner who is going to drop off the 360/727 trans he threw in the deal. Maybe now I can get my truck fixed! :cheers: I also plan on stripping off as much as I can use before I scrap the rest. I just wish it wasn't so rusty :(

j

user4569_pic174_1235581401.jpg

user4569_pic176_1235581521.jpg

user4569_pic196_1235582452.jpg

user4569_pic205_1235583131.jpg

user4569_pic198_1235582664.jpg

user4569_pic203_1235583131.jpg

user4569_pic197_1235582664.jpg

68 2 dr. post. original ww1,/6, auto, on the column. black bench interior.
now, 70' k- frame, 340, 727 auto, 8 3/4" 3.55:1, 4000 stall, black bucket seat/console. the rest of the interior is original.
any measurements you may need, i can get for you. just let me know.

000_0320.jpg

000_0314.jpg

and the dart sport should be fixed, not scraped. it can be done cheaply and, not be worse.

If anybody wants the Sport, i need the cowl panel for my Duster. If someone can come up with one, I'll NOT cut it out and we can talk...

I don't want to scrap it, I just have too much on my plate for all three, and i want the F&R suspension, and K Frame.

j

Got the rear end out, and got started on the front end/K frame. The upper control arms are proving to be a bit of a *****. Hope to have the front end/K frame off tomorrow.

Anybody want the body?

j

Looking a little deeper, and the car is not really going to be able to be saved. The A-Piller is gone on the drivers side, and the rust is pretty extensive under the fenders. I just hope the cowl panel is usable...there was some moisture under the wind shield...where mine is rusting :( But, i got the K-frame out, and was able to get the heater box, wiper motor and a few other small parts off it.

j

Got the parts home today. So, now the question is, what formula do I use to build this? I'm looking for a quick car, but nothing too extensive. I have 5 options motor wise.

What I am thinking is, 318 with about 300-350 HP. I'm sure the 360 will do that as well, or even one of the big blocks, A 727 for the trans, and the 8 1/4 I took out of the Dart Sport for the rear end.

All this is rattling around in my brain. Hopefully this weekend I can get a rear end in the car at least.

So, having pretty much one of each in my garage, I'm trying to decide between small blocks. I'd kinda like to save the 340 for something special, like a 67-69 Barracuda Notchback.

I'm rambling again, sorry

j

I am finally getting around to swapping out the rear. The 8.25 is still in the back yard, but I got the car out of the garage and up on stands. I couldn't find my jack, so I had to use the cherry picker to lift the car. Who knew the catch for the trunk lid was so strong LOL.

In the background you can see my poor broken 72 Dodge half ton. I'm hoping to get to that swap next weekend...

So, tomorrow, the Dart will have an 8.25 rear end :D

j

Getting read to swap the rear end.jpg

Another angle.jpg

On the stands.jpg

I got the new rear end in...but had to cut the soft and parking brake lines No big deal on the soft lines, but the parking brake I was worried about. Doing research, I found that for about 4 Benjamens, I can put ALL NEW LINES, including the hard lines. Next bonus time, that is the first thing I order...all new brake lines...then all new brake parts...including rotors for the front, drums for the rear, pads and shoes, calipers, wheel cylinders... basically a complete new brake system. I also want all new suspension components. Might just take her to the shop and have it done for me. Checking the old 7.25...it was so filthy, I didn't want to take the camera out for the pix. I'll take some of the car with/and the new 8.25 rear this weekend...after I get the Centerlines put on it

So...braking and handling. Then basic structure of the car ( Floor pan, Quarter panel ) . Probably have it put in either primer, or even get the inside cut in ( interior, under hood, trunk...and the like ) Then motor/trans, and last but not least, interior

j

A few pix since I have to make my way down to my grand mothers house with a broken '03 Explorer sitting in the Ford shop in Sacramento :(

I should have driven the frikking Durango!

j

-
Back