My 74 Duster project

-

HTRTrash

Reaction score
When I bought the Duster in Feb. 2010, I planned to clean it up, put in some new carpet and take my granddaughter for a drive (she was only 3 at the time). She loved it and wanted to take it everywhere. Well, after having a few issues with the car and uncovering rot, rust and half-assed workmanship, my plans have changed. Here it is back in Feb 2010.

Attachments

• 100_1389.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,101
  • 100_1390.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • 100_1409.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 100_1414.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,102
That is the first white interior I have seen with brown seat backs.

The car was partially disassembled last fall and had to sit for the winter. This was only due to the fact I had no room in the garage to work on it. So after rebuilding my shed, I moved a bunch of junk out of the garage to get started again.
The plan:
Body: Re-install the front floor pans correctly (without gaps and holes). Replace the trunk pan (looks like it was patched with an old trash can). Patch the A pillars and lower rear quarters and around the tail lights. The new paint will be Chrysler Inferno Red Chrystal Pearl.

Since the floor pans had to be removed, I figured it was a good time to modifie the transmission hump so the automatic OD trans would fit.

Attachments

• 100_1479.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,104
  • 100_1397.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 100_1390.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,079
That is the first white interior I have seen with brown seat backs.

Since the rest of the car was, shall I say, jacked up with crappy work, I am sure whoever recovered the seats just used what they had. I think the seats will be a dark tan (Palomino) when I am done.

The Plan cont’d.
Drive train:
Replace the original 318 with a rebuilt 318 Magnum, MPFI with an automatic OD transmission. For the engine, I had the machine work done locally, bought most of the parts from Summit and reused a lot of what came with the donor engine plus what I already had. This isn’t a hot rod and will be somewhat better than the stock Magnum, with an R/T cam. Not sure how much yet, but I know it will be a good bit more than the Duster had new!

Attachments

• 100_1787.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,109
Over the last couple of days, I have completed the transmission hump to accept the new OD trans. I have also completed the installation of the floor pans and sealed the seams inside. I am waiting on the POR-15 to arrive so I can treat some minor rust at the firewall prior to priming the inside. I think the dash is coming out next. I hope to get started on replacing the trunk pan and extensions tomorrow.

Attachments

• 100_1784.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,078
  • 100_1783.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,076
  • 100_1782.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 100_1781.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,070
I finally removed the trunk pan but still need to get the extensions out. I’ll work on getting them out and everything cleaned up tomorrow. I set the new pan in place just to get a look at it. I hope by the time I get the rest cleaned up, it fits better than it looks. If not, I guess a little modification work will be needed. Before I install the new trunk, I have a couple of patches to do in the lower quarters.

Attachments

• 100_1789.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 100_1794.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • 100_1791.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,045
Looks good I hate shadey people but alteast your makeing it right

It isn 't going to ba a show car by any means but it is going to be a nice driver. By the way, did you get your Duster back? This one is my first Duster. I love these cars.

Do you have any trouble with the shoulder belts not wanting to pull out? I'm finishing my 74 and the belt is giving me fits.

Do you have any trouble with the shoulder belts not wanting to pull out? I'm finishing my 74 and the belt is giving me fits.
The passenger side was a problem. I haven't looked at the belt and don't know how to fix it. I needed to replace the back belts and found a complete set to buy. I hope they work. I haven't installed them yet.

If anyone has some pictures of trunk pan replacement with new parts, I need some help. Check out the pictures below. This is my first trunk pan and extension installation.

Do the extensions have to be cut and modified at the lower back side? They stick out the back side of the quarter panel. Do the extension caps have to be modified to fit?

Attachments

• 100_1802.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 993
  • 100_1803.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 978
  • 100_1805.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 994
  • 100_1808.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 999
  • 100_1806.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 980
You're off to a great start. Nice work!

The patch panels often have extra material that needs to be removed are are altogether wrong in some detail. For example, quarter skins are completely wrong and unusable as-is in this area of the bumper.

Attachments

• qtrpanel09img.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 950
You're off to a great start. Nice work!

The patch panels often have extra material that needs to be removed are are altogether wrong in some detail. For example, quarter skins are completely wrong and unusable as-is in this area of the bumper.

Did you replace the trunk extensions and end caps on yours? If so, got any pictures?

Is that your Duster? Nice car!

Thanks.

No, I only needed to patch the extensions. I did replace the trunk floor though and it didn't fit right either on one end without mods.

Yes, my car.

Here are a couple of images:

Attachments

• qtrpanel04img.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 953
  • trunkjimg.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 948
No, I only needed to patch the extensions. I did replace the trunk floor though and it didn't fit right either on one end without mods.

Yes, my car.

Here are a couple of images:

Thanks for the info 70Duster440. Looks like I need to keep the tin snips and saws handy.

Well, I didn't make as much progress as I wanted to today. But then, do we ever?

Removed the left side extension and the end cap. Uncovered more rust in the tail panel. If I can't make the patches for it, I will have to put this project on hold again until I get back to work.

I cut out and patched one section which leaves one more patch to do in the left rear quarter. Then a little POR15 before I install the extension. Then it is on to the right quarter to do it all over again.

At least it is moving forward a bit.

Attachments

• 100_1815.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 939
  • 100_1813.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 936
  • 100_1811.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 928
  • 100_1816.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 906
This morning I completed another quarter panel patch. These are my first and second ever to do. I hope they are done good enough.

The first one I did with a flange and spot welded it in place. It worked out pretty well. The second ond was done with a cutout to fit (less 1/32 on each side) and butt welded. I like it much better. I figured since I can get to the back side, I can clean up the lower panel and will coat with POR-15.

I hope my welding skills come around soon!

Attachments

• 100_1820.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 939
  • 100_1819.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 920
  • 100_1818.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 937
  • 100_1817.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 918
  • 100_1816.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 936
I knocked off a little early tonight. I've been working on this late all week and needed some down time.

However, I did get some more done. I finished removing the rest of the left extension and extension cap. I found more rust in the tail panel. As usual, the extension cap didn't fit, not even close. So I cut it up and added some additional material to get what I need. I think it turned out pretty good.

After getting the cap temporarily installed with screws, I fitted the extension and pan. The pan didn't fit well either so a few cuts and it was in, somewhat. I still need to add a couple of tabs to the front corner so I can weld it to the wheel well.

The tail panel was much worse than expected, but there is no money to buy a new one. I have to try to save it, so I will attempt to make some patch panels for it. I am not sure my limited skills will allow me to build these and still look good. My existing tail light trim had rusted and I'm not sure if they can be saved either. Another option is to modify the existing panel and install some new style Challenger tail lights. Either way, new tail panel or Challenger tail lights and the project will have to come to a stop. So I hope I can save it.

Well, off to bed so I can get up and continue the good fight in the morning.

Attachments

• 100_1812.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 893
  • 100_1815.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 887
  • 100_1822.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 904
  • 100_1824.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 906
  • 100_1828.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 896
lookin good...im doin all that to a 71 green go demon now..it's a lot of work!

-
Back