my brand new crate motor ate my dip stick

-

66fish2

Reaction score
my 408 crate motor ate my dip stick what are my options and what kind of damage can this cause? (i have already removed the pan and recovered 1 inch of about 3 1/2 inches)

thats quite a first post
ive heard this a few times over the years...id imagine you want to get ALL of it out of there

If a piece got thrown up into a cylinder it could mess it up good. If it gets stuck somehow on the rotating assembly it will throw it out of balance. I think removing the pan was a good plan.

Yeah, that sucks. Milidon pan?
My crank grabbed my dipstick, just before the 1/8 mile cone. Scared me silly.
I didn't know what it was, until I tried pulling the dipstick. I had to bump the motor around to get it out. Gave it a real yank..
20171016_102629.jpg

I elected to "cap" the dipstick tube, and only insert the stick when I want to check it... With a new dipstick, of coarse..

Yeah, that sucks. Milidon pan?
My crank grabbed my dipstick, just before the 1/8 mile cone. Scared me silly.
I didn't know what it was, until I tried pulling the dipstick. I had to bump the motor around to get it out. Gave it a real yank..
View attachment 1715202450

I elected to "cap" the dipstick tube, and only insert the stick when I want to check it... With a new dipstick, of coarse..

That's a good idea. Wish I'd thought of that

Had it happen on the motor. Pulled the pan to get the pieces out. I realized that it missed the hole through the baffle. Now if it feels weird going in I pull it back out and turn it 180 degrees. Slides in easy.

-
Back