"my car broke down" update**

-

17dartandbroke

Reaction score
Just wanted to tell everyone thank you for the help. The fuseable link was taped really weird and had corrosioin which leads us to believe that it had always been broken. Cleaned the bulkhead connectors and dielectric greased them. New fuseable link. New starter relay. Ran ten gauge wire for the electric fan. Cleaned up all of the wiring. Then i reached under the dash to check the amp gauge. It burned my hand so we are guessing it had a short. Bypassed the amp gauge........im putting a blank in soon with new gauges. The car runs great. Idles 10* better. Starts quicker. It even feels a little quicker........i guess it wasnt getting all of the juice to the coil.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Just wanted to tell everyone thank you for the help. The fuseable link was taped really weird and had corrosioin which leads us to believe that it had always been broken. Cleaned the bulkhead connectors and dielectric greased them. New fuseable link. New starter relay. Ran ten gauge wire for the electric fan. Cleaned up all of the wiring. Then i reached under the dash to check the amp gauge. It burned my hand so we are guessing it had a short. Bypassed the amp gauge........im putting a blank in soon with new gauges. The car runs great. Idles 10* better. Starts quicker. It even feels a little quicker........i guess it wasnt getting all of the juice to the coil.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I just did this mod to my wiring (see below) over the weekend and it works great! Basically you're bypassing the ammeter and giving 2 parallel paths to your main loads without screwing around with wiring under the dash. I now have full voltage to charge and since I also added headlight relays I have full voltage going to them and it made a big difference in brightness.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

-
Back