My car likes the 2 inch carb spacer, not sure about the scoop

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
It left with the front wheels about 3 feet off the ground and carried it out a ways after that things went south though. The engine was missing like it was either lean or way rich. I'm not sure if the scoop and no air cleaner is causing it to syphon gas out the carb vents or if it's just that lean now. It was fine during the burnout right up to 7200, and like I said it left hard.

Pic's are hard to come by. I don't own a camera that will take pictures well at the track.

It's a 360 .020 over MP high compression short block. W5 small chamber heads milled .050 for a 47cc combustion chamber. I use a FelPro .039 compressed gasket for .028 piston to head clearance. The CR works out to 12.7:1. The heads were mildly ported with 2.02/1.60 valves that flow 306cfm's at .650" lift. 1 7/8" headers, an M1 small port single plane W5 intake and a worked over Demon 850 carb. I use a Hughes/Engle cam with .630" lift I/E and 277/283 degrees duration @ .050 I/E respectively. 1.6 Crane Gold Race W2 rockers and 7/16" pushrods. Titanium valve spring retainers with hardened 8 degree keepers on the MP SS valves and Crane valve springs. The springs have 150 pounds on the seat and 440 pounds over the nose of the flat tappet cam. Stock rods with ARP rod bolts a Moroso pan and pickup and a MP steel SFI balancer.

I have 90/93 jets in the Demon with no power valves and the spacer is a 2" open hole model.

I use a Turbo Action 8" 4200 trans brake/nitrous capable converter in the 904 with a T/A tranzBrake valve body. I don't use the brake though as I foot brake race for the most part but it's there if I want it. A 4.89 geared aluminum carrier 8 3/4 rear with CalTrac bars, split mono leaf springs moved into the frame rail and the Rancho adjustable shocks.

M/T 29.5/11.5 slicks on Cragar 10" Drag Star wheels.

BTW I had to get an extra piston to cut up to see how deep I could cut the valve notches, this isn't a bolt together engine by any means. I don't remember exactly how much I cut from the pistons bu the top at the exhaust valve pocket is only .090" thick. I have .058" intake valve clearance and right at .087 on the exhaust side. That is with the lash set and the head gasket crushed. There ain't much room in there.

One of the reasons I want to build the 440 cube LA is so I can get more valve to piston clearance and head to piston clearance and still keep the compression ratio up.

Here is a pic of the engine with the smaller Holley main body on it and no spacer.

71620536.gif

-
Back