My Cuda trans. is toast

-

Oldschoolcuda

Early-A Body Nerd
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Had noticed a little slip from first to second gear recently but though no big deal. Wrong.Went to my favorite secluded back road area this afternoon to work the kinks out for little guy nationals test & tune,hit second at usual 5600rpm with normal chirp but then heard and felt a massive shudder & engine raced to almost 6500. Second gear is toast and i'm bummed:cry:. Oh well I rode the TCI crap hard for 7 years and have a whole month to beg the wife for money to get her ready for mopar madness. May she rest in peace(or pieces). Its beerthirty:drinkers:

Oldschoolcuda

ouch....transmissions are rebuildable, and although its usually not clean and not much fun...it is doable.

Good Luck!

Try adjusting your front band. When it applies you have 2nd gear. It's easily adjustable from the outside so it's worth a try.

But I rebuilt it 3 times. The first time I replaced the TC also and the trans burned up 1/2 mile from home both times. The last time I put the original TC back in it and no problems. I have done several others over the years with better success. I hope the one I'm doing now comes out solid.
I got the rebuild kit/clutches for less than $100. Most likely you will need new steels and they will run maybe $10. There are a few tools that make it possible and can cost several hundred. For less than $500 and lots of skinned knuckles (not to mention what you learn) you can have a new trans. Don't forget to clean the TC or replace with one that really works. My first rebuilt TC worked my butt off.

Thanks guys.Don't mind taking one out & putting one in but don't want to get involved with a rebuild myself. I've been somewhat expecting it and have an extra core i'm going to take to a local torqueflight guru in Smithfield,Va next Sat. for a rebuild. Took car out again this afternoon and first gear is fine then second gear is just one massive slip/shudder almost like car is in neutral & then it eventually goes to third which seems fine. Took pan off afterword and its surprisingly clean.

Oldschoolcuda

Thanks guys.Don't mind taking one out & putting one in but don't want to get involved with a rebuild myself. I've been somewhat expecting it and have an extra core i'm going to take to a local torqueflight guru in Smithfield,Va next Sat. for a rebuild. Took car out again this afternoon and first gear is fine then second gear is just one massive slip/shudder almost like car is in neutral & then it eventually goes to third which seems fine. Took pan off afterword and its surprisingly clean.

Oldschoolcuda

The front band isn't holding is why it's shuddering and slipping. Most likely an adjustment would fix it since there wasn't much crap in the pan.

Adjustments did nothing.Trans is history. May she rest in peace. Oh well still has a good manual/automatic valve body & deep pan. Anyone interested.

Oldschoolcuda

Its a 904 and 70408dart haven't decided yet but his name is Ray and he comes highly recommended.

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back