My engine has worms!

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How's this for odd, my old mercury Sable wagon engine with blown head gasket.

Capture.JPG

So you're a master baiter :lol:

Looks like someone used waaay too much RTV on the water pump, instead of a proper gasket.
Or maybe on the head gasket, which would explain the failure...

Those may be the intake gasket seals, I used to own a 1996 Sable wagon and currently have a 2002 Taurus with the DOHC 3.0 liter, they use a silicone gasket to seal the upper intake manifold. It must be removed to replace the spark plugs on the rear bank, as you know if it's the same engine, however I don't recall opening the cooling system doing that job, maybe someone got a little crazy changing a thermostat or water pump

1 year before this head gasket let go the front gasket let go. I took it to the dealer to have both gasket replaced. When I picked up the car the rear valve cover gasket was dirty, the front was new and clean I questioned whether they actually changed the rear head gasket and we assured they did.

1 year later more rad fluid from the muffler.

Took it to another dealer and the photo above is what they found. The rear head gasket was the original installed by the factory, the front was basically new and the updated design (Ford knew they had an issue but would not take care of it. 9 years old, 70,000 miles and we were the 2nd owner)

First dealer absolutely did not change the rear head gasket.

Regarding the red RTV it's like someone squeezed an intire tube of it into the cooling system. The mechanic said he had never seen anything like it.

Interested in the follow-up story... were there any consequences at all for the first dealer?
Or are they still merrily ripping customers off?

I took bunch of photos, and thought about going after them but my only recource would have been to allow the first dealer to repair their error.

And I did not trust them so I just walked away.

-
Back