My FEAR of Flying...

-
We'll fellas, I MADE IT! I have to say there was a lot of turbulence and the fasten seatbelt light never went out! I was extremely nervous!

Good, now we can post this.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtNxNRCcGg"]Best Clips From the Movie Airplane - YouTube[/ame]

Probably late on this but, I think if you buy a bottle of pop or water in the airport you can take it on the plane with you(I think, I don't fly often but last time I flew other people were doing it). That way you don't have to pay $2 for a shotglass of pop.

We'll fellas, the trip is over and was a lot of fun. Now comes the time when I have to drive to the airport and get on the flight home. UGH! I only feel slightly less anxious then the flight down here.......

So keep us postd on your flight home...I hope it was worth it in the long run...Good Luck!!!!!Bill

With all of the "encouragement" (doom and gloom) that Harry has been given I'm surprised that he even got on the plane!

Its all good Harry. When you fly with any of the major airlines you are in the care of a highly skilled and rigorously trained group of professionals. The qualifications and competition to get hired on with a major airline is intense - especially for the pilots.

The planes are more dependable now than they have ever been and are equipped with redundant safety systems. Every significant failure of a system is reported to the FAA and those that show a trend are rectified and a fix applied to correct the problem.

If something does go wrong, the crew is not alone with the problem - they have a team of skilled ATC (Air Traffic Contol) controllers and company dispatch personell to help them cope with the problem and get the aircraft safely on the ground.

About the only thing I don't like about flying now is the airlines have restructured their flights to maximize their passenger load factors per flight. In this era of narrow profit margins you won't find a flight with a lot of empty seats on it anymore - they're all packed pretty tight, which means you're almost always trying to share an armrest with somebody.

BTW don't worry about someone trying to open the cabin door inflight as it is virtually impossible to do so. Watch when they close the door - it is pushed sideways into the cabin, turned parallel to the cabin side and then pushed into place against the seal and locked. In flight the cabin pressure pushes the door against the frame to compress the seal tight. Even Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime couldn't get that door open against the cabin pressurization.

So Harry, don't worry too much about getting on the plane as you are in the care of a dedicated group of professionals who are highly skilled in what they do each and every day.

Thanks Tom for the assurancce! I made it back in one piece. It was a wonderful trip I made to Florida with my 4 year old soon to be 5 yr old son, my girlfriend, and her three young daughters (6, 8, 11) to visit my future in-laws (they are super cool) and hit Disney World.

Harry, Glad you had a great time!!!!! And congradulations in advance on your future plans..My best to all of you...Bill

Tom, you are right and you even put my mind at ease as I am going to be flying for the first time this fall...Thanks for your incouragement...Bill

-
Back