My first attempt at floor pans

-

ESP47

Reaction score
Hey guys let me know how I did on this floor pan. It's a 67 slant six Valiant so I'm not going for perfection or anything. It was actually my first ever welding project. I practiced on some scrap iron making beads and then went to work. I've already finished up the other side and it looks much better but I can't find the cord to upload the pictures off my camera. The welding did not go well at all. It just seemed to want to burn through or not weld cleanly. I'm guessing its because the metal wasn't clean enough? I tried flux core and gas to see if it made a difference and gas definitely worked better. The passenger side floor pan ended up welding a lot smoother except for on the door side of the floor pan. Those were the hardest to weld on. I probably spent about 10 hours doing the first one and maybe 3 or 4 on the second. I couldn't get the seam sealer to smooth out at all so I just left it the way it is. I'm hoping the carpet covers it so you'll never be able to tell. I also made the stupid mistake of cutting too much off the floor hump, so I had to take some sheetmetal from a truck floor hump I have and patch it in.

001-5.jpg

004-1.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Yup, I agree with green. Do a bazillion spots with a light touch. Less grinding and/or filling that way. Gas is the way to go on sheetmetal, by the way.

-
Back