My FIRST MOPAR. Magnum Swap/Nitrous is happening.

-

Shainesboostin

Reaction score
Just finally got my Magnum motor so thought id start a little build. Been lurking here for awhile. Come from a MOPAR family. My dad andid me put a 67 Charger together. It's a BB car. I've always had turbo 4cyl stuff. Have 1 now, had 2 10 sec eagle Talons. Sold to purchase this. Not super nice, but is rust free. Needs paint, clips and window trim, ect. Just a la 318. Im planning on a nitrous 5.9 magnum. Just a junkyard pull. Anyways, here it is. I'm here to learn. Pushrods and Carbs are over my head, but I'll figure it out.

Anyways, thought this would be cool to post updates and what not. Im not the only one doing this swap, so ill have questions as im sure others will as well.

THE PLAN: Stock Magnum swap, 904 trans, 150 shot of nitrous, deep gears. See how it does. Everystep of this will be a learning curve for me. Ill update with pictures as I go. And questions, maybe answers when I can.

Sounds like your going to have some fun on the cheap side! I like it.....
By the way, those eagle talons can really support the opportunities. A guy at our local drag strip had one going 9.20's in the 140 ish mph

Yea, AWD turbo. Good platform. I dont plan on this being THAT fast, but ive always loved A bodies, and Mopars in general. Something about old nastalgic cars. Just cool to me. Its a whole different ball game. Dosent matter if its as fast. Lol, hoping I can break into the LOW 12s or HIGH 11s with this setup. And YES this is done on the CHEAP. Cause im cheap, broke. So we will see how it goes. Pics tomorow.

Mocked up with a scoop. Also, bought a knock.off airgap mani Mocked up on the 318. Will run a eddy 750 carb.

20160909_190618.jpg

20160912_193258.jpg

Off to a good start! I installed the same scoop yesterday lol search for "the build your own adventure dart sport" and you can see pictures

I have that same manifold on my 74 D200 pickup 360, Works surprisingly well for a Chinese knock off.
One note about it, if your heads have been milled at all you'll need to releave the lower bolt hole size (On the gasket or mating surface side of manifold) with a dermal or foxtail file to get the bolts started.. And I had best results with the stamped metal gaskets over the fiber style...
Enjoy the build.... :thumbsup:

I have that same manifold on my 74 D200 pickup 360, Works surprisingly well for a Chinese knock off.
One note about it, if your heads have been milled at all you'll need to releave the lower bolt hole size (On the gasket or mating surface side of manifold) with a dermal or foxtail file to get the bolts started.. And I had best results with the stamped metal gaskets over the fiber style...
Enjoy the build.... :thumbsup:
Hmm, I thought it'd be opposite for the gasket. But I'll check that out.

Update. ****! Pulled the Magnum apart last night noticed two manifold bolts missing...should have known. Just gonna drill, and tap em.

FB_IMG_1474241756403.jpg

Well, worked on it for a couple hours tonight. A spark plug tube was mangled, finally got it out in pieces. Got the intake off, and looked inside. Pretty nasty. Whatever.

20160919_203828.jpg

I like the first gen talon..... I had a 95 back in 01 was a NA car but would top out 3rd gear at 125 mph 145 was the fastest I ever went. I started loosing courage as the dotted whit line became solid.......

Pretty nasty. Whatever. Thought about replacing the head gaskets. Magnumswap.com did the thinner ones to bump compression, but I have no idea what I'm doing. So I'll leave it alone. Lol

20160919_203837.jpg

Looks like water under the intake??? I did wash the motor off before pulling. Hopefully that's why.

Well, pulled freeze plugs, and bought a Melling high volume oil pump. Not sure if it'll work or not. Originally was bought for my LA engine.

20160920_184222.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the oil pump will work. Don't bother using an ARP stud kit though..... You'll just have 4 sets of studs and one set if main bolts to fit your oil pump

If I'm not mistaken the oil pump will work. Don't bother using an ARP stud kit though..... You'll just have 4 sets of studs and one set if main bolts to fit your oil pump
Magnumswap dude said don't use the high volume pump.

Well, for a stockist motor. I been reading. Just takes more power to run, risk sucking pan dry basically. Just use em if you have a bigger pan I guess.

Also, it would be fun to just throw that thing together and hit it with nitrous. I did a real low budget rebuild on mine with new rings, bearings, gaskets, regrind cam, EQ heads, etc. but the motor probably would have been fine as it was...and a moderate shot of nitrous. As it were, I ended up turboing it anyway but as cheap as they are you could probably get 4 complete JY spares for the cost of a econo rebuild. Good luck, you'll enjoy it. Mine was low 12s, high 11s N/A.

-
Back