my first post, help needed assessing damage

-

redlightrich1

Reaction score
Hi All, this is my first post, and I already searched and the images will not load. I am looking for pix that show different degrees of wear on the mainshaft gears of an 833. I am talking specifically about the "lead in" ramps" or the teeth behind the brass syncro rings. I understand they will develop some wear, but what degree is useable, and when are they junk? Also, is there any type of file or stone recommended for removing burrs or sharp edges? I am in the midst of my first tranny rebuild and would prefer to do this once and right the first time, but the cost of mainshaft gears and input shaft is big, so if mine are good, I would like to use them. If not, then I have no choice but to pay up!! Any help would be great.

Thank you

Rich

Those teeth are worn, when they are rounded on front on the teeth, which should be pretty sharp. Same goes for the synchro's.

Antoon

Thanks Antoon, I already bought new " syncro" rings. The new rings are definately better than the gear, but the gears shape is not much different than the syncro. Definately not round or flat. I am looking around and it appears to be normal wear and still good for service.

-
Back