My first post-maintenance no-start!

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I finally finished putting new intake manifold gaskets on my 318, and now it won't start. While cranking it will catch a little, but not totally start running.

I'm thinking it might possibly be the carb, because I took it off and put RTV silicone between the manifold, gasket, and carb to make sure it was sealing well. Maybe some of the silicone squished up into some places in the carb?

I'm also thinking it might be my timing, as I have a timing light pointed at the damper as the engine cranks but I can't really see the timing mark (I do need better lighting in my garage). I thought the distributor might be 180* out of sync since I took it out to take the manifold off, so I changed it around and when I cranked it all I got was a huge puff from the carb, so that's not it. I think I might be turning the distributor the wrong way; is it clockwise for advance? I kept turning it clockwise more and more and it didn't really do anything, but I didn't try turning it counterclockwise past the point I had it set at before because it was getting too dark and I was getting fed up. Shoot, I hope I didn't do something wrong...

-
Back