My first star trail photo

-

ab7fh

Reaction score
I've wanted to try this for a long time. Finally got around to it last night. I've been reading about the process and think I can do a bit better the next time out. Even so, I think this one came out pretty cool.

Attachments

• time_exposure.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 123
BTW, all the shadows were created by natural moonlight (just a sliver last night), star light, and distant city lights. We live out in the boonies and the sky is VERY clear, and dark, in all but one direction.

cool shot - i did one last year with my fisheye.

how long was your exposure?

30min at F11 using an 18mm lens.

what ISO? your EXIF info is not available - but it looks a little grainy - could be the resize for the web.

what ISO? your EXIF info is not available - but it looks a little grainy - could be the resize for the web.

ISO 100

I had to do a bunch of manipulation on it since I screwed up the "Long Exposure Noise Reduction". I didn't RTFM. When I finally released the shutter I didn't realize that the camera still had to shoot a pure black image so I turned off the camera while it was still processing. That left me with a massive purple distortion and noise in the sky. To combat that I desaturated the sky and played with the levels until it looked decent.

So next time I try it I know I have to let the camera finish processing.

Nice shot, ab7fh. I've done them before out in the SoCal desert with my old 35mm Minolta. Haven't tried them with my digital Olympus.
I've always wanted to try some shots during the Perseid showers. Check out www.meteorblog.com for date information on upcoming meteor showers.
Please post more as you do them.

Too cool. I did some with my old Asahi (sp?), it a minolta clone from the '80. 35 mm, not digital. The best one was centered on the north star, so I got a complete circular pattern around the center. I also did some with the same technique, but I walked all over the frame popping the flash in my face. It looked like there were 5 or 6 people who all looked like me in the picture, but far enough apart so the flashes didn't overlap. I don't think I have taken a picture of anything but my kids since I got out of college.

-
Back