my little update.

-

Khyron

Token "B" Body
Reaction score
Whelp, I’ve received the engine back from the shop. Steal, blue, and red, a bunch of different colors now ;)

Cleaned her up, gapped the top rings, I went with the Keith black and gapped them all above the minimum of .028, roughly .030-.035. Well above what they requested.

Mains, crank, pistons, cam, double roller timing gears, are all in place.... she’s coming together :D I'll have some progress pics up soon ;)

I haven't been keeping the pic up, so I'll start now that the Motor is almost built Basically she started with a wore out 360 Small block motor, She had bad bearings. After I pulled the motor and started disassembling it I found that she needed a bore real bad, also the crank was shot to hell. So I started with the full teardown.
mvc-287f.jpg

mvc-288f.jpg

mvc-289f.jpg

I started with having the block bored .030 over. A set of Keith black Pistons, A medium performance cam, and a zero deck job on the motor. She got a nice chemical bath and all the bearings from cam to crank got replaced. Set of cromemolly rings <yes, gapped correctly > I didn't take many pics, but here she is before the shop cleaned her up, you can see the years of paint are starting to get stripped off .... By me and then by the machine shop.
mvc-302f.jpg

<no picking on the mustang in the background :p
mvc-303f.jpg

not that everything Is back, I cleaned the block one last time, set in the crank <nice and turned .010> Cam, pistons, double roller.... time to get er done

After much conversation. I decided on the Gold, Black, and chrome look. With a black engine compartment. I think it will look great. Here she is as she sits now. The heads where just on while paint was being applied. They are getting ported and new springs, ect, ect...
mvc-305f.jpg

mvc-307f.jpg

Now, being the anal person I am, all the lettering and freeze plugs are getting painted black. I'll Most likely paint some Mopar Logos on the motor as well. The transmition has been stripped, cleaned, and sanded.

Ohh, I pulled this out of the old oil sump..... I think I know why the motor went bad. There were metal shards, glass, and plastic in the motor

more updates as I have the time and pictures
mvc-306f.jpg

Timeing chain was solid, though you may be right, could have been an old one. look in the top left, there was a whole lot of bearing in that mess, heheheh

Lookin' good!!

Hmmm, I took my block in about the same time as you, and they are still working on it. :scratch: Supposedly they were balancing the rotating assembly last week. I think all that was left for them to do is mock it up and determine how much to mill the deck.

BTW what is that red torqeconverter? is it just custompainted or something bought like that?

The toque convered was red, not sure if it was painted or if it came like that. I'll take a closer look when I get home.

GotDart said:
Lookin' good!!

Hmmm, I took my block in about the same time as you, and they are still working on it. :scratch: Supposedly they were balancing the rotating assembly last week. I think all that was left for them to do is mock it up and determine how much to mill the deck.

The guy I went to works at a local Napa in the machine department. He's got a great reputation in the area of getting it done fast, right, and dropping alittle education on you if you want some. His names Gary, great guy to work with, but :thumbsup:

To continue....

Finished painting the motor ... being the anal jerk I am, I decided to put a few logos on the oil pan.... ;) When I got done with that. I mated the trannie and engine together. I figured everyone tells me this is the easy way to do it... it wasn't too bad ;)

mvc-311f.jpg

mvc-308f.jpg

Yes, those raised letters and numbers are each painted…. Told you I was anal ;)

And here is the engine and the nice clean trannie going in her new home

mvc-314f.jpg

mvc-315f.jpg

mvc-316f.jpg

The heads were just on to get the motor in. This Monday my springs get here for the heads. I'll set them up. She’ll be running by next weekend ;)

thanks guys :D... but today there are no pictures, Basically I spent the day doing all the odds and ends. Picked up the new transmission bracket and put it on, so I was able to put the trannies cross member up, drive shaft was been sanded and painted. Transmission lines are back in. Most of the exhaust is hanging <literally, haven't put the clamps on yet.

I clean, sanded, and repainted all the accessories. The fan, pulls, alternator brackets and such... Tomorrow the heads get assembled and put back.

Another busy day, took the day off because it was so nice, and to spend time with family and do house chores……………………..

NOT!

Well, we’re about 1 hour away from her running. I’m still short on the headers, I have to go pick them up and the person giving them to me is well…. Hard to get a hold of. So here is the list of things that got done today.

Everything under the car is torqued and set, Started, Transmission lines, Trannie mount, Drive shaft, Torque converter and motor mounts. The shift linkage is set and changing with no errors, Letters all line up. Put the New Springs on the heads, set the heads, lifters, push rods, and rockers. Assembled the whole front end, Radiator, hosed, and Intake. Carb is on top <Holly street avenger 670 :D> The distributor is set and almost ready.

Basically, a few odds and ends, Got to find where to hook up the electric choke :? Hook up the ignition coil, and give her a few oil pressure building cranks….. soon guys….. very soon.

Here are some Pics of the progress as of now.

mvc-316f_640.jpg

mvc-317f.jpg

mvc-320f.jpg

Tommorow i'll get some lighter pics. The gold with the black engine compartment really stands out. I made sure to put enough flat black on the brackets so it wasn't too "bright"

looks really good and plenty of work going into that car. :thumrigh:

oh yea looks like alot of gold in that engine :lol:

bill

SHE’S ALIVE!!!!!!!! And scared the hell out of me, heheheh

Welp, the day was spent putting on the new headers… what a *****. I had to remove the steering center link to run through it. The starter, motor mounts and the power steering pump. But now that it’s done…. It’s done :thumbsup:

Set the distributor, finished the odds and ends, plugs, wires, valve covers…oiled and put the antifreeze in here, got in… turned the key…………..nothing… :scratchhead:

Checked or power, nothing to the solenoid. After about 30 min of tracing the wires. Found that while I was jacking the motor I pulled a cable from the ignition box, plugged it in,,, and cranked to get oil pressure. After I get that. I pump her for gas…. nothing…move the distributor a little…. Crank and VROOOOOOOOOM!

Open headers are LOUD! ;)

Tomorrow, I’ll hook the rest of the exhaust up, set the timing, replace the oil and filter, and double-check all the bolts… and I’m going CUISING!!!! :D :D :D

abodybill said:
looks really good and plenty of work going into that car. :thumrigh:

oh yea looks like alot of gold in that engine :lol:

bill

hehe yeah, i'm been putting some hours on her, but I want to make sure that she's ready for teh nicer weather, and now... she is :)

and yes, the more I look at it... it is allot of gold, hehehe

-
Back