My Magnum Oil Pan/Gasket Solution

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
I posted awhile ago asking about a 1 piece gasket for an LA pan that I'm putting on my Magnum motor. I didn't have any luck coming up with one so I decided to modify the pan. I read about someone else doing something similar, but I don't know if we did it exactly the same.
We just cut the corners out of the magnum pan then welded them to the LA pan that I'm using.
Here are a couple of pictures of it in epoxy primer.
-Jon

100_1215.jpg

100_1220.jpg

Looks good fenderman. Do you think it would be possible to just fill in the low area on the la pan to accomplish the same result? BTW: have you assembled the engine yet and if so what gaskets did you use? The stock magnum re-usable neoprene embossed steel gasket or...???

Yep That will work just fine.
I did the same thing only different.
I cut off the LA section and welded the pan up to look like the Magnum.
A little sealant for good measure and no leaks for about 5000 miles so far.

Looks good fenderman. Do you think it would be possible to just fill in the low area on the la pan to accomplish the same result? BTW: have you assembled the engine yet and if so what gaskets did you use? The stock magnum re-usable neoprene embossed steel gasket or...???

The motor is assembled, but hasn't been run yet. I used a fel-pro gasket set with RTV around the front and rear of the stock one piece Magnum pan gasket.
I'm not sure what you mean about just filling in the low spots of the pan?
-Jon

I'm not sure what you mean about just filling in the low spots of the pan?
-Jon

I was refering to the portions you replaced on the LA pan to make it the same as a magnum pan. Judging by the picture it looks like instead of cutting out the entire sections of both pans and welding in the pieces from the magnum pan into the LA pan you could just fill in the low area's (the step) of the LA pan and achieve the same result. I'm basing this theory entirely on what I see in the pictures so I could be wrong since I don't have them side by side to compare.

I filled in the low spots with the pieces of the Magnum pan. Do you mean fill them in with RTV, or some type of sealant?
-Jon

I just used the front U-shaped portion of the LA Gasket, and cut that section out of a one piece Magnum gasket. A little sealant at the places where the two meet and so far so good.

I'm using an LA pan.

Steve

-
Back