My megasquirt projects

-

Noohki

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I've been reading posts on this site for quite a while and decided to share my (uncompleted) projects with everyone.

I've got a 71 340 clone swinger that I am currently converting to fuel injection on. Its got a hughes 50/56 camshaft, ported x heads, tti headers, edelbrock victor efi intake, accel 4 bbl throttle body. Its controlled by a megasquirt II with a 3.57 board. I've got the engine idling good now and have just started the tune but I've got a long ways to go yet. The injection really tamed the idle down on this engine and has a much better throttle response even with the single plane victor efi.

It has been suggested to me that I share my other project even though it is not an A body or even a mopar for that matter because so many here are swapping the 5.7 hemi.

Its a 88 Mazda rx7 with a 5.7 hemi with a 518 overdrive tranny. It has the xv motorsports fuel injection intake with a bbk throttle body with a comp cams 273 duration cam. I'm using street rod headers. It too is being controlled by megasquirt but has been having issues burning out coil drivers.

I'll update as the projects progress.

Very nice set-up.Do you have a diagram/parts list for the swinger?

I'll second that. I've always wanted to do a project like this but it seems like a daunting (and expensive) task.

I would like to hear more also!!!
C

Welcome to the site!!! Very cool cars! Fuel injection is something I will always want!! That RX-7 is sweet!!! What did you do with the rotary engine? Do you still have most of the other parts from the old fuel system, (fuel pump, relay, stuff like that?)

Thanks for the complements

What I forgot to mention is that I am totally new to megasquirt and the learning curve is not exactly easy but hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

Right now I'm having some issues with a low cranking vr voltage going into the megasquirt. I'm using an early 80's mopar lean burn distributor with no vacuum or mechanical advance. I can adjust the megasquirt to compensate but then that introduces noise into the system at around 3500 rpm causing misfire. If I adjust the megasquirt to get rid of the misfire then I don't have enough vr voltage to start it. I'm going to having to have to find a different solution...possibly even a different distributor like a mallory unilite or pertronix.

So right now I don't have a completed parts list or diagram because it may change a little bit, but I can list whats in it so far if you are interested.

Welcome to the site!!! Very cool cars! Fuel injection is something I will always want!! That RX-7 is sweet!!! What did you do with the rotary engine? Do you still have most of the other parts from the old fuel system, (fuel pump, relay, stuff like that?)
I took out the rotary because of lack of compression, probably a bad apex seal. The fuel pump relay and stock pump are still being used for the 5.7. I scrapped out the rotary engine and all other parts that I couldn't use on the 5.7.

Ii took out the a/c, power steering, air pump, and put the battery in the trunk. This car even with the 5.7 hemi, has even less weight on the front end than it did stock.

Did you build your own mounts for the Mazda, or get a kit from Granny's?

Neat stuff!

Did you build your own mounts for the Mazda, or get a kit from Granny's?

Neat stuff!
I ordered a 5.7 hemi motor mount kit from ebay and welded them in. I modified the original rx7 crossmember to fit the 518 and bolted the crossmember in its stock location.

-
Back