My new 72 Dart Swinger and a couple of questions

-

hinkdart

Reaction score
Last week I purchased my first Mopar. First classic one at least, I had a 95 ram. A shinny baby blue 72 that was advertised with a replacement 360 ( I was told a crate engine but more on that later) 727 torque flight trans, and an 8.25 rear end sure grip. Somebody put some love in this car and it was a New Mexico car so virtually no rust. Only places is by the hinges and where water pooled up by the trunk gasket up top. It was repainted but probably a while ago.

I checked the engine on the driver side beneath the head and it reads 6k360 88?? 1. Does this mean it is a 360 from 1976? I was told it was a crate engine but if it is a rebuild, who cares. It runs like a top. Has a new looking Edelbrock 1411 carb which I'm assuming is a decent carb choice for a 360.

The trans looks new and has a shinny chrome pan on it that says 727 torqueflite so I'm assuming its not a 904 or whatever.

Everything the guy said at that point checked out so I took a quick look at the rear end and it looked pretty round to me.... I was looking at a crappy illustration on my phone and it said the 8.25 was almost round and the 7.25 was, well, not. Anyways the illustration didn't help for sure and when I got home I only counted 9 bolts on it. I had already known it didn't have a posi as the roads were wet and I could feel the right tire breaking free. Any chance mopar made a 9 bolt 8.25 rear end in 1972?

I wouldn't have minded throwing a posi in there for a couple hundred bucks but I was told it had 323 gears in it. Cleaned it up and it has a label for 273. Oh well, it has the cleanest undercarriage of any 40+ year old car I've ever seen. Whole thing was sprayed with undercoating and I chipped off a random place on the frame and it is shiny new. I'm pretty sure the car is in fact a New Mexico transplant that the guy bought and left outside every day and brought into his shop every night. Little bit of rust forming but overall she is a beauty.

Thanks for staying with me so far.... At this point I spent $7800 on the car, $250 on a new starter and $80 on the two emblems that are missing ( DART and 340 Four-Barrel). I haven't attempted to install the mini starter or rather take out the old rebuilt starter in my 360 with headers but researched online and I'm hoping that by jacking it up and turning the wheel to the right I'll be able to snake it out. My main question, I have to replace the left rear wheel bearing as it hums and I knew that from the start. Should I drive it until the 7.25 blows up or sell it and buy a 8.75 that comes complete with disk brakes, brake lines, gears etc ready to go for $2200. What is the value of a 7.25 rear end that essentially looks new. I can't find any for sale on Craigslist locally. Thanks and any info is appreciated.

-
Back